Lets see some of your Fiddy shots (50mm)

Soldato
This is a much loved lens and cheap as chips. I find it a little more difficult to compose a meaningful image with it than my other wider lenses due to it's narrow field of view but when it goes right I love the results. Lets see what you guys have been up to with this lens.

Here are a couple of my recent ones:

1. Sleeper car in Egypt - Cairo to Aswan
2948434857_468fa4fbef_o.jpg

2. Cairo Alley
2938183422_37bffbf8d6_o.jpg

Associate
Cheers. Yeah I agree that shooting at F1.8 gives a very shallow DOF but readers the image pretty bad compared to the sharpness you get at say F2.5 - F4.

I like the Sleeper car picture but I feel my eye wonders a little, however it's still very good.

:)

Soldato
OP
Thanks man - it's a fairly unconventional shot - my aim was to get the window and the sunlight coming through onto the door in focus. The sunlight lights the door and the door handles which were hopefully the focal point in the image. I think the lights and the vanishing point in the centre may detract from that a little but I'd hoped that the focus would override that a little.

Caporegime
Nice - you gotta love the sharpness of it. Good to see you're not shooting at F/1.8 - it's tempting but the image quality is better at around 2.5 - 4.

On the Nikon the best is from 5.6-f/8. F/11 is fantastic still.

Check out SLR Gear or photozone.de to check out the objective IQ measures to find the sweet spot of your lenses

Soldato
OP
On the Nikon the best is from 5.6-f/8. F/11 is fantastic still.

Check out SLR Gear or photozone.de to check out the objective IQ measures to find the sweet spot of your lenses

From http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/97/cat/12 they seem to indicate that F2.5-4 is an acceptable IQ - I guess it depends on what you want to get from your image. If you're shooting with the intention of getting decent DOF and/or bokeh then you want to sit a bit lower on the end of the scale. Overall sharpness then for sure - hit the higher F stops.

Nice sites by the way - cheers for the heads up!

@ EnglishMack - Love them - great characters, especially the first one!

Associate
out of interest guys, how are you shooting these??

I had a load of trouble with not getting pictures sharp and in focus and it was because my shutter speed was too low.

Are you shooting in manual??

How have you found the (canon) 50mm F1.8 in low light??

I've found that to get a sharp pic I've got to shoot at a 1/640 (or just below) which means I can only shoot when outside on a sunny day. (a bit of a disappointment I'll agree)

Any comments?

Soldato
Shutter speed shouldn't make a difference to focus accuracy, here's a low light one for you:

F2.2 / 1/60s / ISO 800

33u4m0x.jpg

Granted, it's not the sharpest but he was jumping about the stage a fair bit.

Caporegime
out of interest guys, how are you shooting these??

I had a load of trouble with not getting pictures sharp and in focus and it was because my shutter speed was too low.

Are you shooting in manual??

How have you found the (canon) 50mm F1.8 in low light??

I've found that to get a sharp pic I've got to shoot at a 1/640 (or just below) which means I can only shoot when outside on a sunny day. (a bit of a disappointment I'll agree)

Any comments?

What are you shooting? Anything with movement will need something around that speed to freeze the action if you want a sharp shot. otherwise you must have the worlds most unstable hands. 1/80 should be fine for this lens.

Soldato
OP
This is the EXIF from the Ally shot - no flash - done handheld

Camera: Nikon D80
Exposure: 0.067 sec (1/15)
Aperture: f/1.8
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0/6 EV

Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
X-Resolution: 240 dpi
Y-Resolution: 240 dpi
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Date and Time: 2008:10:13 13:02:04
Timezone Offset: 1, 1
Exposure Program: Shutter priority
Date and Time (Original): 2008:10:04 18:10:15
Date and Time (Digitized): 2008:10:04 18:10:15
Shutter Speed: 3906891/1000000
Maximum Lens Aperture: 16/10

Associate
Sorry I should have said I'm shooting my daughter (with a camera...) who doesn't like sitting still. ;)

Wrap a blue first aid plaster around her thumb to keep her still and entertained long enough for a picture. That is of course providing she's not older than 5 and just likes moving around :p.

Associate
If you have the money the 1.4 is worth it, faster, better built, better focussing and sharper wide open. But the 1.8 is so cheap it worth having it to see how you get along with the focal length/shallow DOF.

If you're talking Canon I agree.

If you're talking Nikon I really don't think the new AF-S version is worth almost £300, and the f1.4/f1.8 AF versions are about the same build quality.
I think I want the f1.4 for bragging rights more than anything though!

Back to the thread, 50s are great lenses. I really should get on and buy my own and stop borrowing!

Back
Top Bottom