Let's talk, most cost effective printer?

Associate
I need a wireless printer, for basic a4 paper printing. The thing is I use it on average twice a month, when kids are want to print the odd homework for school. So I don't really need something expensive but rather cost effective, especially considering price of replacement ink. What would you guys recommend please? Not looking to spend over £40..

Associate
There is no such thing as a cost effective printer in the grand scheme of things. Genuine ink is expensive because they need to cover the cost of that £40 printer in the long run. The replacements will cost more than the printer.
For yourself just buy a £40 inkjet and do some homework on what ones can still run cheap compatible cartridges which should be most of them.

Man of Honour
Cripes. Upon looking again it appears that the deal I got was actually rather unusual: a Brother HL-L2350DW for £50 https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/br...-printing-a4-4997-delivered-at-amazon-3266540

I'd noticed a trend for half decent home laser printers to be heavily discounted now and again, so snapped at the offer after missing a few. I'm no expert, my knowledge extends to "inkjet bad" based on my experience being frustrated by cartridges etc for years, and conversely "laser good" based on my year of experience of zero frustration from the laser for an insignificant additional investment. Given that this deal seems rarer than I had realised, it might be less of a realistic option. I'd still look for laser, inkjets are the devil.

Associate
OP
Cripes. Upon looking again it appears that the deal I got was actually rather unusual: a Brother HL-L2350DW for £50 https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/br...-printing-a4-4997-delivered-at-amazon-3266540

I'd noticed a trend for half decent home laser printers to be heavily discounted now and again, so snapped at the offer after missing a few. I'm no expert, my knowledge extends to "inkjet bad" based on my experience being frustrated by cartridges etc for years, and conversely "laser good" based on my year of experience of zero frustration from the laser for an insignificant additional investment. Given that this deal seems rarer than I had realised, it might be less of a realistic option. I'd still look for laser, inkjets are the devil.
Great many thanks, so three idea is to try and get a laser printer. Many thanks and we'll keep an eye out for these..

Man of Honour
I’m also wondering if they’re any good. I’m tired of my inkjet cartridges drying up and having to keep buying them.

I've had refillable cartridges for at least 10 years and they work a treat but you need to turn on once a week and print a test sheet off which I never remember to do.
This will have the same problems if you don't use it.

Associate
OP
I've had refillable cartridges for at least 10 years and they work a treat but you need to turn on once a week and print a test sheet off which I never remember to do.
Phew that's the issue . I just want a printer, to print a d go, every few weeks as I doubt I would ever remember to turn it on weekly. Even my car which I use daily, I forget to turn on the aircon weekly as advised!

Soldato

yeah that’s why I‘m considering buying laser.

Soldato
Ink jets should be left on, they do an automated cleaning cycle to keep the heads clean and reduce the chances of them drying out. If you only want occasional printing, get a mono laser, not an inkjet.

Associate
A laser printer i definitely more cost effective if ou have a lot to print In my opinion though you don't need one if you only print the occasional sheet of paper.
Nowadays it's sometimes cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy new cartriges for it.
Crazy world, right?

Soldato
A laser printer i definitely more cost effective if ou have a lot to print In my opinion though you don't need one if you only print the occasional sheet of paper.
Nowadays it's sometimes cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy new cartriges for it.
Crazy world, right?

Printers are now a subscription business. They sell you the printer at break-even or even a loss, bundle them with a lot of purchases and sometimes even give them away for free, and make up for it in ink/toner which have super high margins.

Buying cheap third-party ink/toner is the way to go, it might damage your printer but with the savings you make, you can buy a new one!

I personally gave in and bought a colour laser for about £200.

Soldato
I've just bought a mono laser Xerox B215, it's multifunction with lift up scanner and can also print both sides of the paper, the latter very useful if printing a lot of pages

Associate
Go with a HP and get the Instant Ink subscription? You first of all get X amount of months free on any plan, then can revert to the basic 15 prints free a month package.
Ink runs low, they send you new ones, no cost.

Back
Top Bottom