Let's Talk Tablets - Multimedia Device or Laptop "Replacement"?

Soldato
Now, first thing's first, I know that a tablet isn't going to replace a laptop, but would it be useful to people to be able to do a significant portion of their word processing and basic editing (photos etc) on it?

For example, I'd love to be able to do basic word documents on a tablet, but be able to use a nice trackpad or something to navigate the UI (like a surface), but then have it as a multimedia device when I'm at home, with a nice tablet UI.

See, I'm asking this, because I'm doing a project at uni where I have to design, and "bring to market" a tablet, and justify its' design (show customer requirements).

So, if you have a tablet, what do you like about it, and what don't you?

If you don't have one, then what would convince you to buy one?

Man of Honour
I have several tablets - two that I use frequently are a Toshiba Encore 8" (the original one) it sits nicely in the hand and is great for quickly checking the news and emails, etc. in the morning but I wouldn't use it for anything like working with word documents especially as it is kind of lacking in connectivity to hooking up a bigger screen and mouse/keyboard, etc. which it can do but not in a convenient way and the other a GPD Pocket which is more mini-laptop/netbook than tablet but especially good for connectivity with its USB C port but I would only do very basic productivity tasks with it on the go - a stylus would probable be more useful for general note taking and quick drafts/edits, etc. than touch/track pads, etc.

Soldato
Personally most of my laptop use has been replaced by a Cube iWork12.

Ok, it's not going to win any awards in the processing power stakes but it runs Win10 quite happily for normal gaming usage with a usable sized screen and it also dual boots into Android for even lighter stuff. Has a keyboard/trackpad cover, like the Surface, although i tend to use an external keyboard/mouse with it instead.

Man of Honour
Better scaling support in Windows would be good but with the amount of legacy apps not sure how achievable that is any time soon.

Don't personally have a problem using full desktop web sites on any of my 7-10" tablets and even on my phone its only a minor issue at times.

Cube iWork12

People often do down the Atoms but the Z8xxx series aren't terrible really and while some of the Z3xxx series are a bit poor the full spec Z3740 with dual channel RAM does OK as well. A lot comes down to the cooling though - the cheap tablets will often throttle quite quickly while the better made ones with decent cooling can hold their clocks well.

Soldato
OP
Better scaling support in Windows would be good but with the amount of legacy apps not sure how achievable that is any time soon.

Don't personally have a problem using full desktop web sites on any of my 7-10" tablets and even on my phone its only a minor issue at times.

Perhaps that was the source of the Education version for Win 10 - so that they can better the scalling etc by only allowing the apps from their Windows store

Back
Top Bottom