Level the bed before or after heating it?

Associate
renderTimingPixel.png

I've seen both opinions. Is there a consensus amongst experienced users please?

(I assume it's independent of the printer brand, but in case it is relevant mine is an Ender 3 V2.)

Associate
OP
Thanks. Levelled it carefully cold using the paper test. After heating, the nozzle was touching the bed at all corners but the adjustment required was small as you said.

I may have to place kitchen foil under the middle however. Creality appear to say that is ‘normal’, but I don’t buy that!

Excuse the digression but anyone know of a printer under say £400 that has no-brainier automatic levelling? And how much for one delivered fully assembled and ready to print?

Associate
I also had to shim the bed of my ender 3 v2 to level it, the glass bows in the middle. When leveling I always preheat to 60deg giving it 5min before starting.

In the end I bought a bltouch, it's not really a fix but it helps leveling the bed. When it works :rolleyes:.

Associate
OP
RevBillyG:
Luckily this birthday gift from my son came with those yellow springs, which I installed during assembly.
I've tried several leveling test files, including that one, but have yet to settle on one.

Haze:
It is a glass bed.

Caporegime
I levelled after pre-heating, also my nozzle needed to be far closer than I expected, to the point where I can pull a piece of A4 paper, but not push it between the bed and nozzle.

I used the bed levelling X from thingiverse to get it spot on.

Associate
OP
With the V2 I like to use jyers marlin firmware, it gives you a nice menu for leveling, allowing you to properly take your time with it instead of being rushed by a gcode.

https://github.com/Jyers/Marlin

Thanks, I'd like to try it. But I'm not only unfamiliar with github navigation, but have also never yet changed the firmware on my Ender 3 V2. So I'd appreciate your stepping me through from the page you linked please:

github-nav-1.jpg

I did try the dominant, green 'Code' link and eventually ended up with a folder called Marlin-Ender_3_V2_Extensible_UI. Is that the one? Anyway, its contents did not enlighten me!

And if I don't like it how do I revert to the original Creality firmware 1.0.2?

Associate
Thanks, I'd like to try it. But I'm not only unfamiliar with github navigation, but have also never yet changed the firmware on my Ender 3 V2. So I'd appreciate your stepping me through from the page you linked please:
github-nav-1.jpg

I did try the dominant, green 'Code' link and eventually ended up with a folder called Marlin-Ender_3_V2_Extensible_UI. Is that the one? Anyway, its contents did not enlighten me!

And if I don't like it how do I revert to the original Creality firmware 1.0.2?

From the link I posted, click the link on the right hand side named releases.
I'm assuming your printer is stock so from the list download the bin file named E3V2-Default-v4.2.2.bin

If you have modified the printer by fitting a bltouch or changed the mainboard you'll have to pick the appropriate file, same if you wish to try manual mesh leveling.

Rename the .bin file as creality machines will only read and install from the file once, after that it will ignore all .bin files with the same name I just change out the v4.2.2 part and put in the date e.g. E3V2-Default-020421.bin

Place that file on your micro SD card and insert into your printer making sure the printer is powered off beforehand, switch on and it will install in a few minutes.

Once done re calibrate your esteps for your extruder. https://teachingtechyt.github.io/index.html
This was a site suggested to me a while back by another poster here, it's a good read.

It's exactly the same with crealitys default firmware, just download it from crealitys site making sure you pick the version compatible with your mainboard. If you are unsure of your mainboard, remove the cover and check. Stock Ender 3 v2s usually ship with the 4.2.2 board.

I'll add some video links to aid you.

Firmware update.
https://youtu.be/BI269XHyAFg

An example of what you can do to level with jyers firmware, this is the manual mesh leveling but manual leveling also has a helpful menu.
https://youtu.be/9TCqQF374GU

This firmware won't improve your prints, it will however add some useful features you may wish to use. And as crealitys support for firmware seems none existent for the V2 this is one of the best ways to go if you don't wish to learn how to compile your own firmware.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom