LG 27GN950

Associate
Having used both resolutions at 27", I personally would prefer to have a 32" 4k gaming monitor if possible, but they don't really exist yet with IPS and above 60hz.
That said you can clearly tell the difference in sharpness between 1440p and 4k on 27". The pixel density is pretty beautiful with the right backgrounds and films.

Associate
Very keen on this model as I've been holding out for a decent IPS and 120Hz+ 4K panel.

Edit: another selling point is if you mount it on your own monitor arm then the "gamerfied factor" of flashy lights can be reduced to a minimum.

Soldato
In what way was it night and day? Higher resolution for me meant I could disable AA, but it wasn't like things in games looked different. Maybe a touch sharper, but try and appreciate that when you're running around with a gun shooting things.

Well, of course you won't notice in fast paced shooters, but slower paced games like Witcher 3 exist.

Associate
reports out that it has a fan, oh dear

had a 4k predator and ended up returning it due to fan noise, likely a non runner for me as didnt like the noise

Associate
I'd highly recommend viewing a 27" 4K panel, and comparing it to a 27" 1440P panel in person if you're able to. I found 27" is way too small to appreciate the details 4K offers. Your getting all the huge performance drawbacks from 4k, and hardly any of the image quality advantages.

Appreciate that some prefer a insanely high PPI count, just make sure you know what you're buying by seeing them in person if you can.

I'm glad I took your advice on this one.

Running 4K without scaling on a 27 inch display for my desk and seating arrangement won't work very well for me long-term. I've had to reconsider my choice of monitor to prioritise work over gaming, so I've put in a pre-order for the 32UN880 on Amazon (would prefer from OCUK!) which is really in a totally different segment. But I'm glad I did the research following your post.

Associate
I'm glad I took your advice on this one.

Running 4K without scaling on a 27 inch display for my desk and seating arrangement won't work very well for me long-term. I've had to reconsider my choice of monitor to prioritise work over gaming, so I've put in a pre-order for the 32UN880 on Amazon (would prefer from OCUK!) which is really in a totally different segment. But I'm glad I did the research following your post.

Can you elaborate on what you mean about scaling? Surely with 4k you pretty much have to use scaling for normal work?

I'm currently looking at getting a 27" 4k screen (currently have a very old 27"), and I'm worried that a 32" would just be way too big (constantly turning my head). Isn't the point of 4k that you have a nice and crispy high ppi, so a larger screen would compromise that?

Thanks

Associate
Oh.. My word HDR on this monitor is absolutely insane.
It looks so crisp and clear.

This has to be the monitor to beat right now, I am playing Doom Eternal on Ultra Nightmare at 120fps its stunning!
I havent heard the monitor fan yet, but will try later in the evening to see if its audible.

Associate
I also took delivery of mine yesterday. I placed the order on the 5th August which is when it first went up for pre-order, then went to "out of stock" again a week or two ago. I was worried it wasn't going to arrive (murmurs of low supply/delays worldwide) but had the DPD notification Tuesday night and came promptly yesterday. We must be some of the few who actually have one, waspy!

My monitor history over the past few years is: LG 27UK650 > LG 27GL850 > LG 27UK650 > ASUS VG27AQ > LG 27UK650 > LG 27GN950

As you can see I tried multiple times to "downsize" to 1440p to enjoy the higher refresh rate but every time I was drawn back to 4k. After using 4k for so many years, 1440p at this size just isn't "compatible" with me at this size. I really do need the extra screen real estate for work and I don't mind dropping a few settings to game at 4k though I mainly game in window mode anyway. I do not scale the resolution - it runs at 100% and I sit about an arms length away.

I have absolutely no issues with this monitor and I'll be keeping it - the colours are amazing, after a lifetime of 60hz (I think the highest I've ever had was 75hz back in CRT days) the refresh rate bump is noticable for just about everything, no dead pixels, the on screen RGB control for predefined effects is nice but I will probably leave the lighting disabled.

RE: Fan noise - This is hard to judge for me as my PC isn't completely silent, but if I try really hard to listen I can hear 'something', more so if I put my ear around the back right side of the monitor. It is very faint to me, and the only way I can think to describe it is that it sounds similar to a really faint AIO pump on the CPU I used to have, but I feel I'm trying to listen for it because I know there should be something? I knew it had a fan in from some of the very early reviews people were posting up from Asia last month and that didn't stop me.

edit - I also have to say that I don't remember hearing anything for the first few hours of using it yesterday. It might be that it kicks in after a certain amount of time / room temperature / features being turned on, etc. This might be something to play around with.

Frankly having everything this monitor brings to the table at this price point is digusting and I've been waiting for so long for this. I first caught wind of this monitor in December last year and it's sat in my bookmarks ever since so it's great to finally have it!

Back
Top Bottom