LG 32UD99

Soldato
Hopefully we'll see a fair few 32" 4k HDR monitors arrive this year. Something I've been wanting for a while now.

Unlike a lot of OCUKers, I just can't go the full 40" unfortunately :D I think the sweet spot for me is 32" i'm afraid. That said, unless this monitor comes in at no more than £400 I will go for a 40" 4k HDTV and just move the desk around.

Does anyone have any info on the 32UD99? date, price, specs? Ideally a vesa mount if possible.

My monitor does all my console gaming as well as a secondary screen for my laptop.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Associate
Hi All

Early price indication is around £949.99 Inc Vat

Spec Wise;
32" 4K 3840x2160 IPS Panel
350 nit
HDMI, DP, USB-C
Super slim bezel on all 4 sides
Freesync
HDR10

this is about all I have right now, ETA to market 1st 2 weeks April

Dan

Soldato
Hi All

Early price indication is around £949.99 Inc Vat

Spec Wise;
32" 4K 3840x2160 IPS Panel
350 nit
HDMI, DP, USB-C
Super slim bezel on all 4 sides
Freesync
HDR10

this is about all I have right now, ETA to market 1st 2 weeks April

Dan

HDR10 @ 350 nit... LOL! :D Ridiculous.

Associate
Hi ariprotheroe

I would expect it to have VESA yes

infact, I have just checked the US website (always a good place after CES) and it looks like it has the same stand/mount scenario as on the 34uc98-w or 38uc99 - so you can unclip the stand mounting point and the VESA will be revealed underneath

and yes legend :):):) Gibbo went to CES I think, so he will have seen this in the flesh - which I am jealous of as I am yet to meet it

Dan

Associate
Hi ariprotheroe

I would expect it to have VESA yes

infact, I have just checked the US website (always a good place after CES) and it looks like it has the same stand/mount scenario as on the 34uc98-w or 38uc99 - so you can unclip the stand mounting point and the VESA will be revealed underneath

and yes legend :):):) Gibbo went to CES I think, so he will have seen this in the flesh - which I am jealous of as I am yet to meet it

Dan

Any update on when this will be available to pre-order?

Associate
I thought HDR10 was meant to be 1000 nits? not entirely sure why i'm worried - my only knowledge of nits was at school when everyone needed to have their hair combed... am more interested if this has FALD which i very much doubt as i thought this was pretty much going to be the requirement to reach 1000 nits and thus HDR10 :(

need someone more knowlegable than me to explain :D

Nox

Caporegime
I thought HDR10 was meant to be 1000 nits? not entirely sure why i'm worried - my only knowledge of nits was at school when everyone needed to have their hair combed... am more interested if this has FALD which i very much doubt as i thought this was pretty much going to be the requirement to reach 1000 nits and thus HDR10 :(

need someone more knowlegable than me to explain :D

Nox
Yup the monitor comes nowhere close to being a "true" HDR display. It is a "fake" HDR display.

TFT central have done a good article on HDR:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/hdr.htm#content

And they talk a bit about this LG display:

For instance there is the LG 32UD99 (pictured above), which talks about supporting Ultra HD resolution, 95% of the DCI-P3 colour space (so close to the requirement) and support for the HDR10 standard. However, the spec and press material doesn't talk about how or if local dimming is used, and we assume there is no full-array backlight being implemented here for a start. The "typical brightness" is listed at 350 cd/m2 with "peak brightness" at only 550 cd/m2 so it doesn't conform to the 1000 cd/m2 minimum brightness standard for the Ultra HD Premium certification or HDR10 content target. This is odd since LG specifically talk about HDR10 support in their features. So in this instance, it looks like HDR is being offered in some capacity, but not the full HDR experience and there's some question marks around how it will perform. LG use the following "HDR for PC" logo in their spec information.

What you need for "true" HDR support:

• Option 1) A maximum luminance ('brightness' spec) of 1000 cd/m2 or more, along with a black level of less than 0.05 cd/m2. This would offer a contrast ratio then of at least 20,000:1. This specification from the Ultra HD alliance is designed for LCD displays and at the moment, is the one we are concerned with here at TFT Central.
  • Option 2) A maximum luminance of over 540 cd/m2 and a black level of less than 0.0005 cd/m2. This would offer a contrast ratio of at least 1,080,000:1. This specification is relevant then for OLED displays. At the moment, OLED will struggle to produce very high peak brightness, hence this differing spec. While it cannot offer the same high brightness that an LCD display might, its ability to offer much deeper black levels allows for HDR to be practical given the very high available contrast ratio.

Can't wait for ASUS and acer to bring out their FALD 27" 4K HDR monitors and have them put all these monitors to shame, just a pity that they will cost silly money i.e. probably more than an OLED 55" 4k HDR TV :o

Last edited:
Associate
The things I like about this monitor are:

1) 2 x HDMI 2.0 ports, for my PS4 Pro and Scorpio (when released).
2) USB-C input for my Dell XPS 15 or MacBook Pro with laptop charging.

The HDR feature is a nice-to-have, I've got multiple tv/monitors in my room atm which can be consolidated into just one display if I get this.

EDIT: Seems to be available for pre-order on Amazon.com but not anywhere in the UK.

Associate
am thinking 27" is a faction too small for 4k for me - would prefer to use without windows scaling so looking at 32"+ really. 32" would fit my desk best but would be happy up to 40" - but at these sizes I want a curved...

would look at 43" tv's but (whilst being slightly larger than i want) I also want adaptive sync of some description and the philips 40" curved is VA without freesync

if i'm spending £1k+ i don't want to compromise anywhere particularly :(

nothing around or even in the pipeline that i've seen :(

Back
Top Bottom