LG 42" C2 vs C3 vs ASUS 42" ROG Swift PG42UQ

Associate
Who'd have thought selecting a new monitor would be so hard.

My 7 year old BenQ 32" 4k IPS panel has a number 'blotches' on the screen so time for a new monitor. Main use is standard office work, photo and video editing (8hrs pd). Then in the evenings some gaming (2hrs or so). PC recently upgraded - now an i9 with a 4070ti GPU.

Having borrowed a curved Samsung 34" Ultrawide I've come to the conclusion that it would be too much of backward step from a 32" 4k monitor for its main daytime use. The 34" UW just feels too small after 32"

OLED looks impressive, though smallest is 42". It's larger than I'd like, but I can get away with it. The LG (2022 and 2023 versions) plus the Asus seem to be the options. Reading threads here, both seem to have some technical issues, but that seems true of most monitors. perhaps the Asus is the most problematic though judging by volume of gripes.

The C2 and C3 seem like TVs that can be monitors whereas the Asus appears to be a monitor. I'm not sure if that makes any difference as the tech is the same i guess. Is the C3 worth £300 more than the C2 and is the Asus worth £350 over the C2?

And the elephant in the room - Burn in. Guess the C2 has been around long enough for some real world experience. How big a gamble the risk of burn in for main windows desktop usage (even following all the precautions)? Would I be better sticking to an IPS panel?

I'd appreciate any comments or recommendations please. Thanks.

Associate
OP
Having just returned a 42” OLED what I would also look into is auto dimming and text clarity.

The auto dimming was the reason I returned the Philips as it caused me to have nausea and couldn’t be disabled.

I hear the C3 can’t be disabled too, which is why I started to look at the C2 but as it’s a TV it doesn’t have a KVM or USB-C which I really need to make running two systems easier.

I feel your pain. There doesn't seem to be the ideal monitor available. have you looked at the Asus? It looks like auto dimming can be turned off on that. Can't you use a USB-c to HDMI adapter, I believe they support 4k (not sure about 120Hz though).

Back
Top Bottom