LG 42" C2 vs C3 vs ASUS 42" ROG Swift PG42UQ

Associate
Who'd have thought selecting a new monitor would be so hard.

My 7 year old BenQ 32" 4k IPS panel has a number 'blotches' on the screen so time for a new monitor. Main use is standard office work, photo and video editing (8hrs pd). Then in the evenings some gaming (2hrs or so). PC recently upgraded - now an i9 with a 4070ti GPU.

Having borrowed a curved Samsung 34" Ultrawide I've come to the conclusion that it would be too much of backward step from a 32" 4k monitor for its main daytime use. The 34" UW just feels too small after 32"

OLED looks impressive, though smallest is 42". It's larger than I'd like, but I can get away with it. The LG (2022 and 2023 versions) plus the Asus seem to be the options. Reading threads here, both seem to have some technical issues, but that seems true of most monitors. perhaps the Asus is the most problematic though judging by volume of gripes.

The C2 and C3 seem like TVs that can be monitors whereas the Asus appears to be a monitor. I'm not sure if that makes any difference as the tech is the same i guess. Is the C3 worth £300 more than the C2 and is the Asus worth £350 over the C2?

And the elephant in the room - Burn in. Guess the C2 has been around long enough for some real world experience. How big a gamble the risk of burn in for main windows desktop usage (even following all the precautions)? Would I be better sticking to an IPS panel?

I'd appreciate any comments or recommendations please. Thanks.

Associate
Having just returned a 42” OLED what I would also look into is auto dimming and text clarity.

The auto dimming was the reason I returned the Philips as it caused me to have nausea and couldn’t be disabled.

I hear the C3 can’t be disabled too, which is why I started to look at the C2 but as it’s a TV it doesn’t have a KVM or USB-C which I really need to make running two systems easier.

Associate
OP
Having just returned a 42” OLED what I would also look into is auto dimming and text clarity.

The auto dimming was the reason I returned the Philips as it caused me to have nausea and couldn’t be disabled.

I hear the C3 can’t be disabled too, which is why I started to look at the C2 but as it’s a TV it doesn’t have a KVM or USB-C which I really need to make running two systems easier.

I feel your pain. There doesn't seem to be the ideal monitor available. have you looked at the Asus? It looks like auto dimming can be turned off on that. Can't you use a USB-c to HDMI adapter, I believe they support 4k (not sure about 120Hz though).

Associate
Hi all... I got the LG C3 the other day and it suffers from VRR flickering - Even at higher framerates. This isn't just a me problem, as you can google it and find many posts regarding LG TV VRR flicker. I was wondering if the Asus PG48UQ has similar issues? Also, NVCP says that the C3 "is not certified as g-sync compatible". But it is on their website, and is on when I look in the menu of the screen. Does the PG42UQ also say this?

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:
Associate
I couldn't live with the 42" C2 as a PC monitor and returned it as it had a pink tinge at the edges on a largely white background. May have been panel lottery as it was a sample size of one.

I'm not sure if this was due to the anti reflective coating when up close or the panel itself though.

I had a 55" C7 panel replaced and the replacement had a terrible colour tint, and my current 65" G3 has a slight tint, but for TV use is less noticeable.

Caporegime

Auto dimming can be disabled on the LG if you buy a service remote from ebay

Associate
I use a 42" C2 mostly for gaming, web browsing and multimedia purposes and really like it. I've never had an issue with the text on it. The auto-dimming can be fixed on the C2 but not the C3 currently. There is no sign of burn in on mine up to this point and I'm not even that careful with it - I turn it off if I'm stepping away for more than 10-15 minutes but I have a static taskbar, etc. I've been using mine for about 6 months now and it's done a pixel clean of its own accord once in that time.

If you just want another 32" 4K monitor the Gigabyte M32U is a really solid pick.

Hi all... I got the LG C3 the other day and it suffers from VRR flickering - Even at higher framerates. This isn't just a me problem, as you can google it and find many posts regarding LG TV VRR flicker. I was wondering if the Asus PG48UQ has similar issues? Also, NVCP says that the C3 "is not certified as g-sync compatible". But it is on their website, and is on when I look in the menu of the screen. Does the PG42UQ also say this?

Try a better quality cable. I got one from TrueHQ for about £15 including delivery that solved all of my flickering issues.

My guess on the NVCP thing is it's just saying that the TV doesn't have a G Sync module.

Auto dimming can be disabled on the LG if you buy a service remote from ebay

You don't even need the service remote anymore. You can do it through a web browser on the TV for the C2.

Last edited:
Associate

hi auto dimming now fixed with latest firmware.

Associate
Auto brightness can be turned off on the PG42UQ but obviously dims the screen. Have to put it up to 100% brightness after that for decent brightness. I have had both as in a C2 and PG42UQ. The C2 has a full glossy screen and the PG has a semi matte coating. I was worried before buying the PG that the matte screen would create a slightly grainy image but I have had no issues whatsoever. 42" is big, but after a few days of use it now seems a completely normal size and very immersive for gaming.

C2:

Glossy screen
Smart TV Apps etc
BFI if you want it
Worked with GSYNC no issues.
No DP port

PG:

Semi matte coating
No smart apps being a monitor.
Works with GYSNC no issues.
DP Port

I am purely a gamer so the PG fits the bill for me as I don't need the TV functions. You get all of the gamer options as in black equaliser, fps counter, crosshair etc. I have has it for 14 months and no burn in issues at all. Text was nice and clear on both models with a bit of clear type tweaking.

To be honest, both the C2 and PG are excellent and you can't go wrong with either. The C3 is the newer release and probably worth the extra if you can get a deal. As you are going to use mainly for office work, then I am unable to comment on burn-in issues as all I know if that I have not come across any so far from mainly gaming. 8 hours a day could cause issues but not sure. Many people have reported no issues for desktop use.

Either way, OLED was one of the best moves I ever made. Gaming is on a different level and I would never go back to IPS. I booted up with 34" ultrawide the other day and the smoky blacks and IPS glow were an absolute no go. Put it straight back in the loft.

I would personally go with a C2 if you can get one cheap. It's the same screen as the PG but without the gaming features. The C3 is a minor upgrade over the C2 and maybe worth it if you get get a deal. You only game a bit so getting a gaming monitor would not make sense. But then again, if you don't want the glossy screen, then the PG is the one.

You won't be disappointed with any of them.

Last edited:
Associate
Well i can give you my early initial opinion on the 42" c3 oled after only a few days use is no regrets. Got it from John Lewis for £850 with a 2 month no quibble return . Didn't take long to set up with all the good advice on youtube . Will give a fuller review in a few weeks but yes no regrets so far.

Associate
Well i can give you my early initial opinion on the 42" c3 oled after only a few days use is no regrets. Got it from John Lewis for £850 with a 2 month no quibble return . Didn't take long to set up with all the good advice on youtube . Will give a fuller review in a few weeks but yes no regrets so far.
Could I ask how texts look with the white sub-pixel format?

Associate

The vrr flicker is there with all Oled screens. I have a qdoled and woled, both flicker in scenarios that trigger it.

Associate

The PG42UQ is certified. Have you got the very latest drivers installed?

Associate

I have local dimming ,TPC and Gsr disabled on my 42" c3 oled. if you have the service remote instead of pressing in start press p only top left and the enter 0413 and all menus are there.

Reactions: R3X
Back
Top Bottom