Lg CX 55 inch Oled Screen - John Lewis guarantee - Low value offered

Associate
Hi Guys

My screen developed a dead pixels from top to bottom. John Lewis have reviewed the set and agree that it is faulty but cannot replace or mend the screen and have offered £1,000 as credit. The equivalent set now would be the C3 which is £1,500. Should I accpet this?

I thought I would either get a repaired screen or equivalent, offering £1,000 does not cover this. Has anyone had experience with this before?

Cheers

Soldato
So JL's TV guarantee says:

If we can't repair your product, we'll replace it with the same model, or a model with an equivalent specification, in a small number of cases this may be a manufacturer approved refurbished or a remanufactured unit. If no equivalent product is available, we'll either offer you the nearest equivalent specification or its selling price value refunded on a John Lewis E-gift card. The maximum refund will be the price you paid. Regardless, we'll always do our best to make sure you're satisfied with the outcome.

It's probably worth a bit of email tennis to argue for the "nearest equivalent specification or its selling price value", albeit I doubt they'd agree a C3 is 'equivalent specification' to a CX, even if it's the equivalent model in the range, as the specification of an equivalent set several generations newer would be better. You can probably make enough of a nuisance of yourself if you get it escalated that they'll offer a bit more (55CS at £1079 or 55B3 at £1279) to make you go away. £1000 isn't an entirely insulting offer though assuming you've probably had the TV 2 or more years now and it was probably about £1300 when you bought it?

For comparison, Richer Sounds, who are often touted as having a fantastic warranty explicitly offer a reducing scale refund system:

The Company’s liability and the settlement that is agreed to in vouchers is limited to, and shall not exceed, the current value of the item reflecting age, condition, specification and use/wear and tear.

Current value will be calculated taking into consideration the age, usage, condition and packaging of the product. If the item is in perfect condition with all packaging as new, having had reasonable use we suggest the value as follows:

*Usage scale:

During year One – full value
During year 2 – Original retail less 20%
During year 3 – Original retail less 30%
During year 4 – Original retail less 40%
During year 5 – Original retail less 50%
During year 6 - Original retail less 60%

Associate
OP
Thanks Kenai, appreciate the response. TV was bought in June 2021 for £1,200, so all in all with inflation and everything else, I think I will just accept the £1,000 and get the C3.

Soldato
I think getting back just over 80% of your money (even as a voucher) nearly two and half years through a five year guarantee period is pretty reasonable really.

Back
Top Bottom