LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Soldato
The new 2020 OLED range was announced for LG.

Here are the new features for the 2020 CX (C10) model.

* As small as 48 inches, as large as 77 inches.

* Uses the new generation 3 Alpha 9 chipset.

* Introducing Filmmaker Picture Mode: New picture you can select that tries to deliver the movie the way Hollywood intended. Filmmaker mode can be manually enabled or automatically enabled when movies are detected through dynamic metadata.

* Dolby Vision mode has been updated to support "Dolby Vision IQ", a new feature that auto adjusts the HDR settings based on ambient room lighting

* Introducing HGiG mode for gamers. With this mode enabled, the TV will dynamically adjust it's HDR settings based on metadata from the HDR game to deliver the experience the developer intended.

* Gsync, Freesync and HDMI Forum VRR is all supported up to 4k 120hz. All work over HDMI 2.1 (This means AMD will be releasing a new driver by April that enabled Freesync over HDMI, a feature they promised 2 years ago).

* The CX, like all 2020 LG OLED's now support the new AV1 video format.

* Web OS updated to the latest version, including new apps for Apple TV+, Apple TV Channel and iTunes Movies. Best of all, this is not 2020 exclusive - these new apps will become available for all 2018 and 2019 LG OLED's too!

* The CX also supports Airplay 2, Homekit, Alexa and Google Assistant.

* Introducing "Sport Alert". The TV can notify you through the screen to show you information about your favorite team like news, scores, schedules etc. The TV can also use the speakers to notify you when your team is playing a game and scores.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1578322870

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Oh and on the CX range. Its definitely incremental upgrades. They've really got nothing other than the 120hz BFI and film maker mode.

If they'd gone down the route Panasonic have in their high end OLEDs have making it a bit thicker by improving the cooling to counteract image retention, I would have been all over it but as the C9 vs CX choice stands, I can't look past the C9's better value.

Sure the 4:2:0 thing with 120hz Gsync on the CX is cool, but honestly if you're pumping out 4k/120hz, you're likely going to have to rock the next generation of HDMI 2.1 cards anyway.

my hat part still surprises me a bit. I think OLED is all about the thin panels, it's a selling point and they don't want to change it. LG won't admit it to our face but we know it's 100% true - image retention is part caused by pixels overheating - the quickest way to solve the overheating without reducing brightness is to make the panel thicker and stick in some heat sinks or fans.

by keeping the panel so thin, there is no airflow and no way for the heat to escape and so the pixels just overheat

Soldato
OP
Yes. MicroLED is X years away from being affordable, where we know for sure X is > 3. In reality it's probably a decade away or never (after all, no one says success is guaranteed for bringing down costs low enough; OLED itself has severe production constraints, that's why you see WOLED in TVs but AMOLED/POLED in Phones but not vice-versa, and none for monitors at an affordable price). There are always trade offs, always. Unless you're rich, in which case you can phone up Samsung and have this at home:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Clearly you need to be a multi millionaire to get a MicroLED TV in 2020.

Poor dude has no taste though - the rest of the room looks absolutely awful

Soldato
OP

It's not a surprise to me anyway but you'll see from these videos that the CX has an advantage compared to the Samsung even in a bright room while gaming. The Samsung just can't achieve it's peak brightness in game mode and in many scenes the LG OLED looks even brighter than the QLED.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Turns out the 10 series OLED's don't support full 48Gbps bandwidth HDMI 2.1

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...d-tvs-dont-support-full-hdmi-21/#49d21a436276

But according to Vincent Teoh and Adam Fairclough (Evil Boris), it won't really be an issue as the panel is 120hz 10bit native, the 40Gbps limit means you can 'only' max out at 4k/120hz/444 with HDR and can't push up to 12bit - which the panel can't display anyway.

that is correct, 40gbps is entropy use the TVs capabilities at once

Soldato
OP
I'm not sold on BFI at any refresh rate. I understand the benefit it can bring to low framerate content, however the downsides are too great imo, especially on an OLED that is already not super bright to begin with

Soldato
OP
How many people are watching low bitrate SD content on these?

The C9 already upscales well enough for the 1080p content I watch now and again. I'd rather have the higher HDR peak brightness as long as it hasn't been toned down for burn in reasons!

SD content makes up less than 1% of total time spent using my LG C9

Soldato
OP
This is my first 4K TV and I am blown away by the 4K HDR pictures from the likes of the Mandalorian. I should have changed up sooner

Grats. People usually say that, I had a friend who played on a 480p tv with his ps3 for 4 years and during this time I kept telling him he NEEDS a 1080p screen - when he finally upgraded he admitted he should have much sooner

Soldato
OP
Getting rumours out about 2021 models.

Main difference so far is fixing bugs/issues regarding HDMI 2.1 VRR like gamma curves etc and more importantly 2021 OLED models seem to have a ew pixel layout that results in the panels getting 30% brighter

Soldato
OP
The G1 is the only one with enough panel technology difference to justify not buying a CX and even then it's nowhere near worth the price difference over current CX offers.

Smart people should buy a CX at the current discounts unless they REALLY need the extra brightness of the G1.

The CX is out of stock and has been since the start of February over here, stores aren't getting any more stock either. TVs happen to be one of those things here that don't hang around, rarely is there enough stock for sales before the new models come in

Soldato
OP
In Europe it's still in stock in most places... not for too long though.

My local store were doing a deal the other week on a 65" CX for £995 (1170 EUR). Ridiculous!

that pricing is insane you guys are so lucky, I'm on the other side of the world and just before the 65" CX went out of stock it was still selling for equal to 2500 pounds

Back
Top Bottom