LG CX or Samsung Q80T

Soldato
So if the Sony is 100hz how would that work with the series x 120hz mode? Would the VRR take over and run it at 100hz or would it drop down to 60hz? I used G-Sync Monitors back in the day but don't know if the xbox / tv combo would work similarly.

Caporegime
OP
The X900H is getting VRR. Was the recent kaffaffle of course, but that was put to bed when Sony confirmed models like the X900H are getting the support. Caveat being there is no timeline.
I wouldn't want to buy a TV on the promise of a feature arriving at some point really!

Soldato
Is 120hz for games so essential ?
I'm not into games, but 50hz interlaced or 24prog looks fine for films, indeed with tv's frame interpolation you can get a smoothed annoying soap opera effect at faster rates,
so. moreover, you need a black frame insertion to help the brain break up the succession of images, even with fast pixel response times.

Better games hardware should be improving the rendering/texturing quality at any frame rates too, do games already offer a trade off ie. do you want image quality OR frame rate

Movies, whch should be the pinnacle of rendering (better than games) often look poor even though they are 24fps, which suggests processing power there should be targetted at quality not frame rate.

Caporegime
OP
Think I'm going to stick with my Panasonic TX-50CS520B, the MVA panel has higher peak brightness than Oled, 5500:1 contrast and viewing angles are way better than VA screens.

Soldato
Think I'm going to stick with my Panasonic TX-50CS520B, the MVA panel has higher peak brightness than Oled, 5500:1 contrast and viewing angles are way better than VA screens.

I am sorry but a 55" OLED like the CX will blow your current tv away, get the CX while you can before stock runs out.

For just over £1000 currently it's a bargain.

Soldato
I certainly wouldn’t consider an 80T if comparing to a CX.

However if burn in is a factor, I’d look at the 90T or 95.

The 80T is a much lower class TV, and in game mode you’re essentially looking at an edge lit TV with limited/no local dimming.

Soldato
I certainly wouldn’t consider an 80T if comparing to a CX.

However if burn in is a factor, I’d look at the 90T or 95.

The 80T is a much lower class TV, and in game mode you’re essentially looking at an edge lit TV with limited/no local dimming.
I got a great discount off the 80T. I would have gone with the 90T but Samsung were out of stock.

From all reviews I've seen and read the 80T is still a fantastic set and it has FALD rather than edge.

Soldato
That seems a bit daft, surely its not an issue on the 90/95 so you think the TV would work the same.

I’m not sure to be honest - I only came across the info when researching TVs for a friend recently. He opted for the Q90T in the end and is very happy with it.

I think that, in reality, 99.9% of people would be really happy with a high end FALD or OLED - just need to pick whichever suits your needs/wants better.

For me, the risk of burn in is worth it, considering the super low pixel transition times and pixel level dimming control.

Permabanned
Is 120hz for games so essential ?
I'm not into games, but 50hz interlaced or 24prog looks fine for films, indeed with tv's frame interpolation you can get a smoothed annoying soap opera effect at faster rates,
so. moreover, you need a black frame insertion to help the brain break up the succession of images, even with fast pixel response times.

Better games hardware should be improving the rendering/texturing quality at any frame rates too, do games already offer a trade off ie. do you want image quality OR frame rate

Movies, whch should be the pinnacle of rendering (better than games) often look poor even though they are 24fps, which suggests processing power there should be targetted at quality not frame rate.

Go and read up on FPS for movie vs games, 25-30FPS would be low for games esp. on LCD (looks better on CRT due to more fluid motion and next to no lag) when movie have fast action scenes they cover this up via motion blur, so do some games but too much can make you feel dizzy.

Soldato
I’m not sure to be honest - I only came across the info when researching TVs for a friend recently. He opted for the Q90T in the end and is very happy with it.

I think that, in reality, 99.9% of people would be really happy with a high end FALD or OLED - just need to pick whichever suits your needs/wants better.

For me, the risk of burn in is worth it, considering the super low pixel transition times and pixel level dimming control.
I am tempted by the 75 q90, however I believe it only has 1 hdmi 2.1 which in typical samsung fashion isn't the arc channel :rolleyes:.

Back
Top Bottom