LG G5 worth it for £175.99?

Permabanned
Sure, it's a decent phone for the price.

Don't expect good battery, also the quality control on these can be pretty shocking so don't be surprised to see a few issues when you get it, stuff like metallic paint missing around the frame, visible antenna lines under the paint on the back etc.

Associate
Be aware that LG G5 is known to have defective hardware and has been added to a Lawsuit in the US against LG. I was affected by the G4 after having it for 18 months, the phone suddenly stopped working on a hot day and started bootlooping. No amount of flashing, reflashing could get the thing back to life again. I know 3 other people at work who have had the same issue with LG phones recently, so I am now rather wary.

as a Caveat I should add that I was an LG fanboy since the Nexus and have owned Nexus, LG2, LG3 , LG4 and LG5 so I no particular axe to grind.

LG G5 was an OK phone, great hardware let down by dodgy build quality imo.

Permabanned
What phone(s) would you recommend at under £200? New or used.

You won't get anything for under £200 that's better than the LG G5, despite what I said I would still recommend it, the performance and camera are very good.

Maybe do some due diligence on the seller before you hit the buy button though, good feedback and good return policy.

Soldato
OP
You won't get anything for under £200 that's better than the LG G5, despite what I said I would still recommend it, the performance and camera are very good.

Maybe do some due diligence on the seller before you hit the buy button though, good feedback and good return policy.

What about the Xiaomi Mi5? That can be found for around that price, just have to get it shipped from Hong Kong.

Soldato
What about the Xiaomi Mi5? That can be found for around that price, just have to get it shipped from Hong Kong.

That's just what i did after owning an lg g4. The mi5 is fantastic for the money. Battery life is great, it's fast and fluid and the camera gets no complaints. I've got the 3gb/64gb white version. The miui system does a really good job of controlling the phone, it just takes a bit of time to get used to finding the settings you need, and it doesn't allow apps to hog/drain/bloat the phone.

Soldato
Currently using an LG G5 the camera is decent battery life was good to start off with but has got a lot worse over recent months(considering picking up a new battery)

Main problem though is screen burn in both phones i have had after sending the first one back has had this problem but i have fixed it using bluelight filter.

Permabanned
Currently using an LG G5 the camera is decent battery life was good to start off with but has got a lot worse over recent months(considering picking up a new battery)

Main problem though is screen burn in both phones i have had after sending the first one back has had this problem but i have fixed it using bluelight filter.

How are you getting burn in? they're both using IPS displays.

Soldato
Same happened on my LG G4, screen burn in. Looked terrible. Amazing screen image but not good quality. Support was useless, I had to send photos off, and then when the phone went for repair, they just changed the main board... Because of the boot loop issues. They did the screen on the second attempt, and I then sold it.

That's why now I make sure any phone I have, uses touch buttons on the body, and not the screen, and custom home screen to remove the notification area.

Soldato
How are you getting burn in? they're both using IPS displays.

a lot of people have the same problem, i had to removed the notification bar as it was constantly burning into the screen, i use whatsapp a lot and after been on it for a while i can still see the outlines of my conversations when browsing the web unless i leave my screen off for a while.

Permabanned
A lot of people have the same problem, i had to removed the notification bar as it was constantly burning into the screen, i use whatsapp a lot and after been on it for a while i can still see the outlines of my conversations when browsing the web unless i leave my screen off for a while.

I wonder what LG did to achieve that, that's an achievement in itself, probably manufactured by LG. :)

Soldato
OP
So I ended up going with the G5 (here is the listing btw) as Shocky pointed above there really is nothing else comparable at that price point, well I suppose the Xiaomi Mi5 does but the cheapest option was having it shipped from HK with free (no tracking) delivery and despite a few people reporting not paying duty, I just really didn't want to risk it and having to wait an eternity in the process. They're 'seller refurbished' not sure what context, simply faulty (and repaired) returns? It would be my first 'used' smartphone purchase so we'll see what my experience is and if encounter any of the issues that plagues the G5 then it's a simple return... hopefully.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So I ended up going with the G5 (here is the listing btw) as Shocky pointed above there really is nothing else comparable at that price point, well I suppose the Xiaomi Mi5 does but the cheapest option was having it shipped from HK with free (no tracking) delivery and despite a few people reporting not paying duty, I just really didn't want to risk it and having to wait an eternity in the process. They're 'seller refurbished' not sure what context, simply faulty (and repaired) returns? It would be my first 'used' smartphone purchase so we'll see what my experience is and if encounter any of the issues that plagues the G5 then it's a simple return... hopefully.

Hate to possibly put a downer on this, but i think that will be coming from China..."Guangzhou Bailun Supply Chain Technology Limited". Lots of feedback saying it doesnt come from Glasgow as well.

Soldato
OP
Well, that turned out to be a complete waste of time. Seller gave me the runaround when I asked about where it was coming from, claiming it was shipped when it wasn't, and just being dodgy af. Refund has been issued and seller has been reported for the misleading listing although I doubt anything will come from it considering their prevalence on the site. Now I'm on the hunt again,So guys, best phone £200 and under (new, used, refurbished w/e I just really need a phone now)?

Back
Top Bottom