LG L203WT-BX. Finally a S-IPS model?

Associate
Hello everybody, I came here to tell the story of these monitors around here in South America..

Last year we received a batch of them produced in Polland and they didn't have great viewing angles, HDCP or component plugs. They were the LG L203WT model.

This year we received a new batch of them. This time the sticker inside shows a -BX model and it was produced in Korea and assembled in Mexico.

They boast GREAT viewing angles, from top, bottom and sides. They also have HDCP, 1:1 aspect, Picture in Picture, component plugs, a remote control audio in and audio out for you to use it as a TV without the need of having the computer on.

They are even cheaper than the last batch was last year. Around U$270.

I'm puzzled because everyone says this model is a TN, but some people wrote to LG and they said it is indeed a S-IPS panel.

rotulomr6.jpg

frenteyl1.jpg

controleyv8.jpg

componentert3.jpg

http://psiquiatria.tpa.com.br/L203WT (6).JPG
http://psiquiatria.tpa.com.br/L203WT (5).JPG
http://psiquiatria.tpa.com.br/L203WT (10).JPG

Anyone has any concrete information about the panel of these monitors? As it's obviously not the same TN we got last year.

Thanks in advance!

Man of Honour
good be one of the newer gen TN panels which has improved viewing angles. I'd be surprised if it was S-IPS at that price tbh. can you go into the OSD factory menu (hold "menu" while you turn the screen on, and then press "menu" again)...see what it says in there for panel

Associate
OP
I understand what you mean but look at this.

IPS_vs_TN_1s.jpg

One is clearly a TN model while the other is said to be a S-IPS model..

The first one is from Polland while the second is from Mexico.

I'm gonna ask somebody who got it to get to that menu you asked =)

Thanks for the attention.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Firegod said:
Lol I wish it was warm enough to wear shorts in the UK at this time of year. :p :D

No way! The weather there these days is awesome for overclocking with an air cooler and open window :p

I got really nice results when I was in the UK last month :p

Man of Honour
Lord Magus said:
I understand what you mean but look at this.

IPS_vs_TN_1s.jpg

One is clearly a TN model while the other is said to be a S-IPS model..

The first one is from Polland while the second is from Mexico.

I'm gonna ask somebody who got it to get to that menu you asked =)

Thanks for the attention.

yeah i've seen that picture before a which i believe was from the original L203WT anyway wasn't it? If you look at the same pic but from face on you can see there is also a difference, i am not confident that is conclusive proof of an S-IPS version. I ran this all by LG product management in the UK at the time who looked into it for me and said:

The L203WT-BF will have the same panel world wide, if there is a change in specification the model name would change slightly. For example, you may find the same monitor with a different panel called ‘L203WTE’. As far as I know there is just the TN version of this model though. I certainly don’t have information on a S-IPS based panel for this model.

now i'm still open to the idea there may be an S-IPS ver, but LG are suggesting otherwise and i would imagine swapping a cheap TN panel for a more expensive S-IPS in production is not something they commonly do sadly.

Associate
OP
Anyway, the Factory OSD picture I posted doesn't really say anything eh?

The guy messed around with it and said that other than that screen he could only get color calibration options..

So the Panel version wasn't really anywhere to be seen.

Another thing is that this monitor has 1:1 aspect and composite... Something that's listed as a NO in every website.

Looking from another side... It'd be really nice if this panel in fact is a TN.. Because everyone is SO happy about it with the colors, viewing angles and response time that it'd be really awesome news if TN panels had evolved this much... We could finally be saying goodbye to all the crappy panels, since TN are the cheaper to manufacture and they're already at this level. Even if dithering is being used or whatever trick it is that LG's hiding to make a cheap panel look so good.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
thats the one. The screens don't look the same even from head on which is why i'm not sure we can trust the side angle shot above :)

Back
Top Bottom