LG plans 48-inch OLED TV

Soldato
That's good news indeed.

We have just bought a 49" Sony Xf9005 TV to replace our 2012 GT50 Plasma. We could have bought a much larger TV, but we are happy enough with both the affordable cost of the smaller models as well as they don't seem to overwhelm the room.
The 49" TV is in our front room and in the back one is a 42". Again we think that it looks good for the room size, although it isn't a small room.

Caporegime
This is good news but I imagine it will be 2-3 years away? by then QLED could be dominating the market. It's only a matter of time before QLED technology and the like becomes standard across the board.

Soldato
OLED is flawed tech anyway, going to 48" doesnt fix its issues and people buying those smaller TVs wont know not to pause anything... :D

I've had Oled's running here in store from the day they launched and never once suffered image retention, if a static image is on the screen like the smart system it will auto switch to a screen saver, the same will happen in a home environment.

Panasonic and Sony model have built in systems that look after the screen when it's in standby, Lg you have to turn it on which is stupid.

Soldato
I've had Oled's running here in store from the day they launched and never once suffered image retention, if a static image is on the screen like the smart system it will auto switch to a screen saver, the same will happen in a home environment.

Panasonic and Sony model have built in systems that look after the screen when it's in standby, Lg you have to turn it on which is stupid.

IIRC I remember this image retention concern being felt when I first bought our GT50 Plasma TV in 2012. Fast forward to 2019 and it never happened for us.

With the OLED concerns there are some examples...

https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/lg-embarrasses-with-oled-burn-in-at-tradeshow/
https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-switches-airport-oled-to-lcd-amid-burn-in-row/#ftag=CAD-00-10aag7e
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

...as well as the possibility of OLED going dimmer over the years.

Whether any of that has any merit in most peoples typical use, rather than in an airport displaying a very similar image all of the time, who knows. But it was a small consideration when I opted for my 49" Sony XF9005 TV.
The main consideration was the cost and TV size tho.

Last edited:
Soldato
IIRC I remember this image retention concern being felt when I first bought our GT50 Plasma TV in 2012. Fast forward to 2019 and it never happened for us.

With the OLED concerns there are some examples...

https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/lg-embarrasses-with-oled-burn-in-at-tradeshow/
https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-switches-airport-oled-to-lcd-amid-burn-in-row/#ftag=CAD-00-10aag7e
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

...as well as the possibility of OLED going dimmer over the years.

Whether any of that has any merit in most peoples typical use, rather than in an airport displaying a very similar image all of the time, who knows. But it was a small consideration when I opted for my 49" Sony XF9005 TV.
The main consideration was the cost and TV size tho.

I've seen the tests that Rtings have done which mainly uses LG oled, but yes Plasma had the same concerns, I ran a G10 for 5 or 6 years with loads of gaming and never once had retention, unless you are running BBC news all day i don't think many people will see it in normal viewing.

Soldato
OP
That's good news indeed.

We have just bought a 49" Sony Xf9005 TV to replace our 2012 GT50 Plasma. We could have bought a much larger TV, but we are happy enough with both the affordable cost of the smaller models as well as they don't seem to overwhelm the room.
The 49" TV is in our front room and in the back one is a 42". Again we think that it looks good for the room size, although it isn't a small room.
Don't know about your GT50 Plasma

An 55" OLED is almost exactly the same size as my Pioneer 50" plasma due to the pioneer big bezels and the OLED hardly having any bezels
Pioneer 50" plasma 123.2 x 72.2 x 12
Sony 55" OLED 122.8 x 71.1 x 8.6 cm

My 65" OLED is exactly the same width as what my 50" pioneer plasma was when it had the side speakers fitted :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't know about your GT50 Plasma

An 55" OLED is almost exactly the same size as my Pioneer 50" plasma due to the pioneer big bezels and the OLED hardly having any bezels

My 65" OLED is exactly the same width as what my 50" pioneer plasma was when it had the side speakers fitted :eek:

Good point I hadn't taken that into account when buying the new TV. The 50" Plasma was indeed bigger than the replacement 49" XF9005. When we lifted the Plasma to the floor next to the new TV you could see what the bezels added to the size.

Still, we are impressed with the Sony, hadn't realised that things had improved so much.

Caporegime
those saying they never saw any retention on plasma must be blind.

having owned 3 plasmas including the GT50 (which i still have). they all had retention issues. the samsung which was on par with panny at the time too people were buying both panny and samsung in equal quantities before the 60/65 series was released even got burn in.

so i'm talking the latest panels too not older ones where the issues where even more of a problem.

i still use my GT50 daily (it's in the bedroom) and it still gets retention even with thousands of hours on it.

i have a 55" XF90 in the games room and an LG in the living room. the XF90 is an amazing tv far ebtetr than the GT50. but the gt50 was in it's time amazing too.

Soldato
I do find it funny how people always chip in saying they have never seen it, as if that means the problem doesn't exist. Its well documented and if it happens to you, you are relying on the good will of the retailer to fix it or a court hearing to settle it.

Soldato
I do find it funny how people always chip in saying they have never seen it, as if that means the problem doesn't exist.

That's not what anyone is saying at all, but it does at least counter the people who don't own one yet feel the need to suggest they're all going to suffer the same fate.

Caporegime
I do find it funny how people always chip in saying they have never seen it, as if that means the problem doesn't exist. Its well documented and if it happens to you, you are relying on the good will of the retailer to fix it or a court hearing to settle it.

they must be blind. plasma was extremely susceptible to retention. they cured burn in for majority of people apart from those using it with static content religiously. retention on the other hand all you had to do was stick it on sky sports for an hour and the retention would still be there 10 mins later on another channel. it was light though unless you used static content for long periods of time.

i stopped gaming on mine within a month or two and got a pc monitor instead. plasma had major retention issues that were never solved. all of them had it. burn in was reduced considerably but not cured, it couldn't be.

even mobile phones latest samsungs get burn in. this is on mass produced 9th generation screens. so it's still not been cured on OLED. mobiles though obviously have far more static content than tv's with the home screen, etc.

Soldato
Perfect vision here, and I as a person who has owned Plasma TV's and work with Oled tv 6 days a week have never had an issue with image retention, I clearly said it does happen, but you your obviously BLIND to that.

I used to game on My G10 Plasma for hours at a time on games like BFBC2 and Oblivion plus other games with big huds, and not once did it suffer, Not screen tech is perfect, they have all had issues, and most will continue to do so, CRT had colour guns that would fail,or the screen would go purple if a speaker was to close, Rear projection had issues, Plasma had issues, LCD has issues, Oled has issues, and no doubt when it comes MicroLED will have issues, Find a tech that has never had an issue , you wont.

Soldato
Plasmas had retention all the time. My Panny's certainly did. No burn in but retention was common. Not the slightest smidge of retention yet on my OLED, however.

Permabanned
I just want to be able to relocate it myself as i am opposed to 55inch with just plain old 16.9. 42 inch is the largest i tested i am deaperate for the 2019 features in 42 inch.

I been buying up all the 4k Trilogy releases too that are in real 4K HDR in anticipation of the inevitable. It really is all i want in life apart from a Ultrawide OLED there us not much else i want from cinema. Most of the old films on 35mm seem near the limits currently too i doubt after 8k which is close people will want much else.

They should be careful, They will run out of things to innovate on soon like the humble wheel. 8k 48 inch with BFI on 24p would be my wheel for my personal tastes. The judder i do not mind either it is just bad camera work that causes judder in 24p.

Back
Top Bottom