LG UltraGear Monitor 38GN950P

Soldato
Hi guys.

I ordered this monitor a week ago.

Nano-IPS
3840x1600
144hz (can o/c to 160hz but I won't bother)

This screen is great. I have gone from 2 x Dell 32" curved 4k VA 60hz panels to this, and I'm already loving the better colour, brightness and responsiveness. This is my fdirst monitor that is more than 60hz and I will never go back now to 60hz. (I'm still using one of the Dells as a secondary screen)

Loving it so far.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
It's a really nice screen and perfect for work, as I have the 38WN95CP-W variant of it which doesn't have the OC but has a TB port.

I think I drove @JediFragger up the wall with discussions on it and the 5K model. :cry:

Soldato
To save polluting the other thread any more I'll move in here.

I'm contemplating grabbing this monitor as it's now dropped to circa £750.

I've been using an Alienware AW3418DW for the last four years and love it and that's part of the issue. Basically, is it worth upgrading from the 34" to the LG 38"?

Soldato
My main worries are that the additional 4" and screen space won't be that much in reality and also the switch from full G-Sync to Freesync concerns me a bit.

Soldato
If it uses the same LG software mine does, you can indeedy. I have mine set to video sync which is actually quite nice, but sadly doesn't work with Netflix and Amazon in Windows 11.

Soldato
Thanks.

Reading up, I'm also slightly concerned that, whilst it appears on NVidia's list G-Sync Compatible monitors, it lists the maximum refresh rate as 144Hz. It's not clear if this is just because that's the "official" maximum, since 160Hz is technically an overclock, or if the VRR support doesn't work above 144Hz.

@Ace Modder I know you said you wouldn't bother with 160Hz but have you ever checked whether VRR still works correctly up to that rate with your 4090? Any other VRR issues to report?

This is where I'd love a decent, in-depth review from a reputable site like TFTCentral or a YT site like HUB/MUB but alas no one seems to have bothered testing this screen when it came out after the GL. Given that it's now been "re-released" and is around half the price it was at launch a few years back, you'd think it'd be a sought after screen that would garner some better reviews.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I loved mine while I have it, still miss it in some ways. As for the extra space only you can answer this really, but as for VRR I had no issues with the 3080Ti I was using at the time and felt as slick as even full Gsync-module screens did :)

image.png

It doesn't *seem* like much, but in actuality I found it to be extra immersive in games and v useful on desktop esp when needing 3 open windows.

Hell I'm using a PG42UQ atm and still feel I could go down to a 38 np, a 34 not so much.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm still umming and ahhing.

Another factor is there's supposedly a 37.5" 3840x1600 IPS Black panel in production from LG Display so wondering what might appear later this year. An updated LG model or maybe even Alienware will re-enter the fray? If either materialise though you can guarantee they'll be twice the price.

Caporegime
Another factor is there's supposedly a 37.5" 3840x1600 IPS Black panel in production from LG Display so wondering what might appear later this year. An updated LG model or maybe even Alienware will re-enter the fray? If either materialise though you can guarantee they'll be twice the price.
Also a 34" 5120x2160 panel iirc, should make things interesting :)

Soldato
Also a 34" 5120x2160 panel iirc, should make things interesting :)

Interesting and, as per the other U4024QW thread, that resolution is very appealing to me but only on a larger panel. At 34", I'd just end up scaling Windows so everything is the same size as before, albeit a bit "smoother" and, in games, would end up using DLSS more often as even a 4090 is going to struggle with 5120x2160 in a lot of stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom