LG Washer Dryer front panel buttons not working

Soldato
Hi All

I've had my LG Washer Dryer (model WD-12331AD) for about 10 years or so and apart from the odd issue of it not draining, normally due to something stuck in the filter it's been great. However, yesterday I went to use it and although it will power on and I can select a programme using the dial, none of the other front panel buttons work meaning I can't start it washing.

Does anyone know what might be wrong with it and if it's likely to be fixable? I'd really rather not have to fork out another £400 or so for a new one...

Any help much appreciated!!

Soldato
yeah its 10 years old, you need to buy a new one :p I should imagine some sort of circuit board has died, and they will rape you to replace it, and i i should think you have done quite well to get 10 years out of a washing machine

Permabanned
Just checked the parts breakdown for it, the main PCB is now obsolete.

Saying that sometimes the micro switch falls off, it is worth taking it off and having a look as you can just solder a new on on.

Associate
Random thought, you haven't done anything daft like engage the child lock? I only say this as I thought ours was broken, but I had just locked out all the buttons!

Dave

Soldato
OP
Just checked the parts breakdown for it, the main PCB is now obsolete.

Saying that sometimes the micro switch falls off, it is worth taking it off and having a look as you can just solder a new on on.

How does one go about dismantling the control panel?

I'll have go this evening and see if there's anything obvious.

Random thought, you haven't done anything daft like engage the child lock? I only say this as I thought ours was broken, but I had just locked out all the buttons!

Dave

Sadly not, the child lock on this model is ridiculous as it only locks certain buttons sadly not including the power button... the number of times my son turned the machine off when he was a toddler...lol

Permabanned
Just take the lid off, remove the screws from the soap draw, two screws should hold the front bezel on the top, remove them and then just ease the lugs on the inside and the complete bezel will come off.

Unplug it first though!

Soldato
OP
Bit of an update, the other day I was going to have a bit of a poke around to see if I could remove the bezel (before the very handy tips below), anyway, I switched it on then switched off the power supply for it - I have two next to each other one for the washing machine, the other for the dishwasher and I wanted to make sure I was switching off the correct one - and just before the lights went off I had the urge to twiddle the programmer wheel and press the start button...which beeped then it all went off. I was surprised as the start button hadn't been working. I turned the power back on, set a programme and tried the rinse + button and the start button and it all worked, I let it run for a minute or two and all seemed well so I switched it off and then back on and ran the drain cycle and that worked two.

I've since done a couple of loads and it seems like it has fixed itself...no idea what the problem might have been but for now I'll be gentle with it and hope it lasts a while longer! :)

Just take the lid off, remove the screws from the soap draw, two screws should hold the front bezel on the top, remove them and then just ease the lugs on the inside and the complete bezel will come off.

Unplug it first though!

Cheers, should it die on me again the same sort of way I'll give this a whirl.

Have you tried kicking it....:D

I felt very much inclined to do so but managed to refrain! :D

Soldato
if the start button is temperamental you can get some switch cleaner spray (I use servisol super 10) and play that into the switch.
Not sure whether some washers control panel also have conductive mebraines, like remote controls, that can be cleaned to improve relibility.
(newer bosch I have is temperamental if you use touch buttons for spin speed with slightly damp hands and will start cycling through speeds ,
as though you pressed the button multiple times.)

Back
Top Bottom