• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

LGA out after Intel Broadwell??

Soldato
OP
Actually,this could all be down to what Anandtech reported earlier. Intel have over half their 22NM fabs going idle now,and if anything that means the expensive investment in 22NM is probably taking longer to pay off. The TDP reduction is going to be less important for desktops anyway,so by keeping the desktop CPUs on 22NM,that means they can use the 22NM fabs longer. On top of this this means,they will probably transition slower to 14NM and use this mostly for mobile devices,and this might end up more cost effective for them.

It seems a lot of the tech media missed this:

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Ar...ning-delays-14nm-raises-fears-for-ireland.htm

14NM is being delayed by six months at the Ireland fab.

Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
According to TR,there might be a good chance that lower end Broadwell CPUs are soldered on:

http://techreport.com/news/24191/trusted-source-confirms-soldered-on-broadwell-cpus

So,it looks like budget PC builders who start with a cheaper CPU for the first year or two and then upgrade,are probably a bit screwed,if the news is true. OTH,it could be more for pre-builds,so hopefully a few lower end CPUs and motherboards will still have sockets.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This hasn't been the case for quite a while now anyway since the introduction of K series chip, so enthusiasts are already paying for top end parts for overclock.

Quite a few people(including me) don't do this and so do most of my mates. Get a slightly better motherboard now with a cheaper CPU and 12 to 24 months down the line,when you have more dosh or the games require a better CPU,you get a better one at that point.

I did this with my previous socket 775 system and my current socket 1155 system.

For example an ATX B75 motherboard is around £50 to £60 and you can get Z77 ones for around £10 to £20 more.

Its the same with graphics cards. It might be common on enthusiast forums to spend £225 to £300 on graphics cards every few years,but I certainly know more people who don't spend more than £150 to £160 graphics card(me included),and might end up upgrading slightly more often.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom