LGV / HGV Blind Spots.

Caporegime
Regarding the speed question that has also been answered it also depends on what road your on:
Motorway 60MPH (doubtful due to limiters)
Dual Carriageway 50MPH
Single Carriageway 40MPH (YES! Only 40)

I know the speed limits for lorries but why do the others speed then? I see some doing 56mph on a NSL A road and others doing less than 40? I would say it's a 50/50 split between the speeders and the ones that stick to the limit. I always thought the slow ones were on the clock and wanted to get their hours in :p.

Associate
Personally I don't speed as its not worth getting points on my license for a job and it'll take as long as it'll take to get the job done safely.

They may be speeding as they might run out of driving time, are going to be late for delivery etc but at the end of the day, just like anyone on the road I think you'll always get people speeding.

Soldato
Personally I don't speed as its not worth getting points on my license for a job and it'll take as long as it'll take to get the job done safely.

They may be speeding as they might run out of driving time, are going to be late for delivery etc but at the end of the day, just like anyone on the road I think you'll always get people speeding.

I'm exactly the same whilst im out delivering. No point me risking my licence/lives for the sake of a few minutes. It will take as long as it takes.

Associate
Aren't photos 2 & 3 of trailers that have toppled rather than a blindside collision?

Each happened on roundabouts, which any lorry driver will agree gives the biggest problem with blind spots. Point was also to prove that gravity is not always on the side of the lorry driver, hopefully making you think twice about overtaking lorries on roundabouts

Caporegime
OP
Our company is currently testing new extra length trailers

28 pallet & 30 pallet

They are loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong !!

But they drive more or less the same as a standard 45ft tri axle...

The rear axle steers and is further back than on a std tri axle, in my admittedly limited experience of them, they track the same as a regular tri axle jobbie. :)

Soldato
Indeed they do.

We're just waiting for some Banana brain to assign one to trunk to one of our shiddy depots

ie:

Luton, Liverpool or Glasgow

At Luton we literally have millimetres clearance pulling on & off the bays (I really DO mean millimetres) with our present length trailers. Rear steer locks straight on reverse (or can be manually locked) but you have to be straight before you start the reverse procedure.

I just know someones gonna goof

Back
Top Bottom