Lian Li dynamic - distro or reservoir/pump combo - which one

Associate
OP
It has plenty of support installing in the top brackets. I did make a little GPU support bracket for it like the one that came standard with the 4090. More than secure and means loads of space underneath

Associate
@ endorium I have looked at the pic and took a while to compute in my mind what was going on. You have somehow managed to mount it way higher than I have seen before.

If you are planning to mount it in a similar vertical position and have a 4090 the gpu pcb/backplate will almost entirely cover the cpu socket, the 4090 pcb is very short but extra wide and has the power connector poking out as well. It may be really easy to route the tubes from gpu to cpu but going from gpu to a front mounted distro plate and then back to the cpu socket may be nigh on impossible with hard tubing. No real way of knowing how this will work until you have the parts in place and can actually see what is going on.

Not going to be easy and I am sure sym30|1c set up is simpler and will cause you less stress.

Associate
OP
@ endorium I have looked at the pic and took a while to compute in my mind what was going on. You have somehow managed to mount it way higher than I have seen before.

If you are planning to mount it in a similar vertical position and have a 4090 the gpu pcb/backplate will almost entirely cover the cpu socket, the 4090 pcb is very short but extra wide and has the power connector poking out as well. It may be really easy to route the tubes from gpu to cpu but going from gpu to a front mounted distro plate and then back to the cpu socket may be nigh on impossible with hard tubing. No real way of knowing how this will work until you have the parts in place and can actually see what is going on.

Not going to be easy and I am sure sym30|1c set up is simpler and will cause you less stress.
It's partly why I'm not bothered about a distro.
It's a 4090 installed now.
Would just make a loop circuit rather than back and fourth to a distro. At least that's my thinking at the moment.

Associate
OK yeah I understand better now. You could go direct from bottom rad > gpu > cpu > top rad > Res/pump > bottom rad with the side intake fans as a mount for res/pump.

If that is the plan I would say get cross flow radiators so you have the option of going in one end and out the other. You may choose to go in and out the same end but it is always good to have the option

Associate
You mentioned earlier about mounting the pump/res on the radiator and normally that doesnt work because the gpu PCB will interfere with that placement but with the 4090 having the short PCB it may work out really well and help fill what would other wise be am empty area in the case.

Associate
OP
Yep, I can think that will be my plan. Looking at the heatkiller tube 200. Get a good D5 pump for it.
Then need to see what are the better crossflow radiators.

CPU cooler will go the new thermaltake pacific mx2 ultra. Looks fancy :cry:

Then for gpu waterblock going to wait I think for the Stealkeys water block they recently announced.
Alphacool do one for my gpu (Gainward 4090). Cant find many long term reviews on their waterblocks for gpu though

Associate
Alphacool do one for my gpu (Gainward 4090). Cant find many long term reviews on their waterblocks for gpu though
I've got the Inno3D card that comes with the Alphacool 4090 ref cooler. It's a bit blingy for my tastes but it's built like a tank. PCB and block are about 1.7kg, I stuck it on the kitchen scale to be nosey.

I'd go pump/res over distro plate just because you can keep using it if you decide to swap cases. I'm interested in the 011D Evo XL that's coming soon and supposedly takes up to 3 420 rads. I've got a 420 and 280 but would like more radiator space.

Associate
Just bear in mind that if you are going for a pump/reservoir combo, mounted to the side, then you will likely restrict the length of any GPU that is air cooled. See this old photo of my 011D with a 1080Ti:

IMG-20200909-210813.jpg

That is a combined 200mm reservoir and D5 pump, mounted to fans. You wouldn't fit a chunky air cooled GPU in there as well as a side mounted pump/reservoir.

Associate
OP
Just bear in mind that if you are going for a pump/reservoir combo, mounted to the side, then you will likely restrict the length of any GPU that is air cooled. See this old photo of my 011D with a 1080Ti:

IMG-20200909-210813.jpg

That is a combined 200mm reservoir and D5 pump, mounted to fans. You wouldn't fit a chunky air cooled GPU in there as well as a side mounted pump/reservoir.
Going to watercolor the gpu as well in the loop so will be plenty of room all iny basket with overclockers to collect tomorrow. Looking forward to bending acrylic tubes

Associate
OP
Progress so far

Hopefully you can access and see the video link above. This is my progress. Used acrylic tubing. Never do e anything like this before. Still waiting on waterblock for gpu sonot will change.

58mm radiator up top and 30mm in the bottom. Extremely happy with it so far

Last edited:
Soldato
Not had time to read through the thread but heres my take..

If you want a boring clone 011d with excess tubing runs geta a distro. If you want it to look clean and more unique go with a pump res combo. Can even hide the pump res either above or below the psu in the rear compartment.

As for fan orientation. Side intake, bottom intake and rear exhaust have been tested and proven to give the best results.

Associate
OP
Not had time to read through the thread but heres my take..

If you want a boring clone 011d with excess tubing runs geta a distro. If you want it to look clean and more unique go with a pump res combo. Can even hide the pump res either above or below the psu in the rear compartment.

As for fan orientation. Side intake, bottom intake and rear exhaust have been tested and proven to give the best results.
Thanks for the input. Put a link to a video of what I have now done with it. Just waiting on the GPU water lock to complete it

Associate
@endorium Your build looks great, you should be proud. The run out from the cpu block is a little wonky but can be redone when you do the gpu block if you want. The long run into the cpu block is very nice indeed.

Associate
OP
@endorium Your build looks great, you should be proud. The run out from the cpu block is a little wonky but can be redone when you do the gpu block if you want. The long run into the cpu block is very nice indeed.
Thank you. Yeah, that one pipe went wonky. Never done it before so was all a trail. That pipe will be redone when I get the GPU block. Acrylic pipe ready and waiting for it

Back
Top Bottom