Lian Li TU150 ITX/DTX

Soldato
It's definitely on my possible next case list. About the same size as my SG03, similar clean utilitarian looks but nice stock cable management options and the tempered glass panel. Handle is handy for LAN parties too! I'm surprised it only takes a 120mm fan at the front, looks like they could have got something a good bit bigger at the front (maybe 160mm?) that would have pushed more air over the graphics card - but I guess that's a modding option down the line!
Just waiting on Optimum Tech to put up his Youtube review and compares it to other compact cases.

Soldato
OP
I'm surprised it only takes a 120mm fan at the front, looks like they could have got something a good bit bigger at the front (maybe 160mm?) that would have pushed more air over the graphics card - but I guess that's a modding option down the line!

Yes, noticed that too. Only reason I can think of is they wanted the fan to clear the top of the graphics card, and just have the graphics card sucking air from the bottom.

Soldato
As a successor to the TU100, I think it's great. Almost any GPU will fit, you can stick a nice big cooler on the CPU, and there's a handle for easier transportation. No doubt it'll become a common sight at events.

As the first ITX case Lian Li has released in a while, I'm left disappointed. An SFX PSU is mandatory, so you can't just transplant a PC over from a mid-tower. And there's no support for radiators larger than 120mm, so water cooling is basically out of the question. In a really small case, this wouldn't bother me. But it's 3.3 times the size of a Dan A4. At 23.75 litres, it's in a size class where ATX PSU support and 240mm support are normal.

I like how the case looks. And I've been impressed by airflow tests. But I'm still left confused by the design. To me, it seems like the case is much larger than it needs to be, as it really isn't that important to support 165mm CPU towers and 320mm triple slot GPUs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any news on when it's hitting the UK?

The video reviews have changed my mind. Everyone seems to be gushing about this case. I do wish it was a bit smaller (say, 5L less volume), or had ATX PSU compatibility and/or 240mm radiator support. But I don't really need to water cool my PC and I can change PSU 's cheaply enough. I really like how the case looks, the amount of room there is to work in, and the masses of cable management space.

Thinking about how it compares to the Ncase, the M1 doesn't have 240mm radiator support either if you use a glass side panel. Nor does it have ATX PSU support. The Lian Li is less than half the price (after adding a Window Kit to the Ncase), easier to work in (I ditched the SG13 because it was a nightmare to work in), and has better compatibility with air and 120mm AIO coolers.

I would like to see an alternative version though. I reckon if they moved the PSU to the front fan mount and got rid of the handle they could reduce the size a bit, or create space for a 240mm radiator.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any news on when it's hitting the UK?

The video reviews have changed my mind. Everyone seems to be gushing about this case. I do wish it was a bit smaller (say, 5L less volume), or had ATX PSU compatibility and/or 240mm radiator support. But I don't really need to water cool my PC and I can change PSU 's cheaply enough. I really like how the case looks, the amount of room there is to work in, and the masses of cable management space.

Thinking about how it compares to the Ncase, the M1 doesn't have 240mm radiator support either if you use a glass side panel. Nor does it have ATX PSU support. The Lian Li is less than half the price (after adding a Window Kit to the Ncase), easier to work in (I ditched the SG13 because it was a nightmare to work in), and has better compatibility with air and 120mm AIO coolers.

I would like to see an alternative version though. I reckon if they moved the PSU to the front fan mount and got rid of the handle they could reduce the size a bit, or create space for a 240mm radiator.

Middle of October, just been told by Lian Li. No idea why it is up for pre-order so early, also expect delays.
Too late for me, I'm not waiting any longer for this or the Aorus X570 I. Time to buy something else.

Soldato
Middle of October, just been told by Lian Li. No idea why it is up for pre-order so early, also expect delays.
Too late for me, I'm not waiting any longer for this or the Aorus X570 I. Time to buy something else.

I believe OCUK are expecting a small batch this month.

I'm not in a huge rush at £109 though. Will upgrade my GPU first and wait for the case to go on promotion.

Soldato
The thing that puzzles me from watching some of the videos, is that it looks that the motherboard could have possible been mounted a few CM higher, by which point it is just about big enough to fit a mATX motherboard into it - atleast from a height perspective. So I'd agree it looks to be bigger than needed compared to some ITX cases. It's external dimensions are near identical to my Silverstone SG03 that originally took an mATX board and ATX psu, the Lian Li does gain really nice cable management options on balance. It's a great looking case though and I think I can overlook some of the niggles that it has - they're far smaller than the issues a lot of reference Lian Li cases have had. It's nice that they've finally made a small case where the CPU cooler space isn't blocked off by a PSU!

Saw this video yesterday, you can squeeze in a 240mm radiator so long as it's a slim one and you have a waterblock on your graphics card! Granted that's potentially a lot of effort, but it looks damn good!

May still buy one. But no urgent rush, trying to hold off any hardware changes until I've decided on my next graphics card!

Last edited:
Soldato
The reason for the height is because of the front to back airflow design. You've got space for a triple slot GPU, with a 120mm fan on top of that, then an SFF PSU, then the handle & handle housing.

Arguably they could have reduced the size by changing the airflow design. The InWin A1 shows one way to do it. The other would be to ditch the handle, vent the top, and go for vertical airflow.

Soldato
I don't see how the airflow design is relavent to the height here. There looks to be a couple of cm above the motherboard to the top internal panel of the case for example. Granted that's where you can mount a 3.5" drive, but you could argue that's a lot of extra case space for the sake of a single mechanical drive. The motherboard could be mounted that much higher and still have the same front/rear fan layout and reduce the height of the case. Not a big deal though, it's still pretty compact.

Soldato
I don't see how the airflow design is relavent to the height here. There looks to be a couple of cm above the motherboard to the top internal panel of the case for example. Granted that's where you can mount a 3.5" drive, but you could argue that's a lot of extra case space for the sake of a single mechanical drive. The motherboard could be mounted that much higher and still have the same front/rear fan layout and reduce the height of the case. Not a big deal though, it's still pretty compact.

Look at the front of the case.

You could move the motherboard up, but then there wouldn't be space for a 120mm fan between the PSU and the GPU. Essentially, it's the 120mm fan causing the case to be tall.

Edit: here's an image:

SxQFRUt_d.jpg

There's no space at the front of the case for reducing the height.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes, it's the PSU clearance and 120mm front fan clearance, that accounts for the height of the case (along with the top panel cable compartment). The 3.5" drive space will have been a way to make use of that extra space.

What I like about this case is that it simply targets the market that wants ITX/DTX with space for a big air cooler and a long GPU and without the need for a PCIe riser cable, and it solves GPU airflow issues created with cases like NZXT H200 that have the PSU and PSU shroud directly under the GPU. It doesn't try to be the smallest, or to provide a ton of watercooling options or be all things to all builders. It's what it is. Do understand that because it's a nice-looking case and different people have different criteria, they might wish it was slightly different. For example, those happy with a shorter ITX GPU would have designed it so the PSU would be at the bottom front (for example), and then the case height could come down considerably, and (probably) a 140mm front fan could be fitted as well.

Soldato
Well, from that picture it's only the 120mm fan being an issue with specific length graphics cards :p
That photo shows well how much extra space there is above the motherboard, it's more than I realised!

Don't get me wrong, it's a great case that I still am considering! I just wish I could design a case that had exactly what I want without costs being ludicrous!

Back
Top Bottom