1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liberté, égalité, Nutellaté

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheMightyTen, Jan 26, 2018.

1. TheMightyTen

Soldato

Having just read this article from events this week in France:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42826028

Has got me thinking, what is it in the human psyche that somehow switches of when in a herd? All of a sudden generally decent people become slavering, ravenous imbeciles, uncontrollable and can't be reasoned with. We've seen it in this country with one of the first Black Friday events a few years ago, we see it with crowds at sporting events and concerts and we saw it with the riots that spread across the major cities of the country a few years ago. The "Poll Tax" riots also being another example.

I know a lad quite well who was in a very well paid managerial position with Royal Bank of Scotland, he'd never been in trouble with the Police who went off to Germany for the 2006 World Cup and came back via deportation for "hooliganism" handed over to the British Police had the book thrown at him and lost his job. When ever he describes it he just says he didn't know what came over him he was just sucked up and dragged along with the crowd, he stopped being an individual and was just a smaller part of a bigger whole. Now I don't fully hold with this belief that you lose your identity in these situations, surely if you are of a strong enough character at any point you can put the brakes on and reassert your individuality and walk away, I have been there to a point and was able to do just that (I was at the Poll Tax demonstrations in 1990 that descended into a riot), or am I being to harsh and the anonymity and comfort blanket of the "mass" is to beguiling?

2. VincentHanna

Capodecina

There's many studies on it, I covered it briefly in A-level psychology.

3. Pawnless Endgame

Capodecina

'Murica and Black Friday. Find out who these people are and slap them with a 2-week custodial.

Make love, not war(craft).

4. TheMightyTen

Soldato

And what conclusion did you come to personally?

5. peterwalkley

Mobster

The cynic in me is thinking along the lines of it being a poorly thought out publicity stunt.

6. VincentHanna

Capodecina

That it only takes a few people projecting authority and leadership for people to follow them blindly.

Sometimes even a white coat is enough to convince somebody that what they are being told to do is scientific, rather than abhorrent.

7. MookJong

Sgarrista

8. adolf hamster

Soldato

is it a survival trait? going along the lines that the wisdom of the whole is more reliable than the wisdom of the individual so we're pre-programmed to follow a crowd's actions over our own, even when the crowds actions turn to violence.

9. TheMightyTen

Soldato

That's an interesting thought, I fully understand and have read plenty on how crowds can be manipulated by the vocal/authoritative, that's a given. What does seem strange though, particularly in the case of the "Nutella Riots" and the Black Friday debacle is it's ad hoc, there is no real panic trigger or a guiding minority, things just seem to reach a critical mass and then boom, everything descends into mindlessness.

10. Tunney

Capodecina

I hope that these Nutella riots don’t… spread.

11. VincentHanna

Capodecina

:D

12. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

I'm keen to hear Freefaller's response to this. Nude. Him, not me (I am also nude).

Where is that gorgeous boy anyway? :mad:

13. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

That would be nuts.

14. Judgeneo

Capodecina

Its a jarring prospect

15. G-MAN2004

Caporegime

The day I run into a store and get into a fight over a couple of quid is the day I have gone completely insane. You wouldn't even catch me jogging through a store to pick up a £500 discount on a TV, never mind anything else. :p

16. MikeTheNative

Sgarrista

UK has had fights over discount TVs and Prosecco so I'm not surprised.

17. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

We haven’t witnessed scenes like this from the French since they lost the last round of the “Who can surrender to the Germans first?” competition to the Belgians.

18. MikeTheNative

Sgarrista

That's why Hitler drove the BEF out France, he wanted to keep all the nutella for himself.

19. adolf hamster

Soldato

"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Nuss Verteilt"

sounds legit....

20. Scort

Mobster

Small minded imbeciles likely hoover up these deals, as they suspect that they can get a bunch of cheap items - then flog them off on eBay/Gumtree etc, turning a quick profit. At least, that's the only reason I can fathom people would have full blown punch ups over a sodding TV!