Life (2017)

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Just back from the Cinema and I can say in "some" aspects it tops Alien. Would strongly recommend if you like that type of genre. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Strong shout that is, especially on here where everyone seems to obsess over Alien. :p

I wouldn't go as far as saying it is better than Alien as I do have a soft spot for Alien and Aliens :D however it certainly gave it a run for its money but that aside this movie captures the dread, menace and danger. The acting and effects was superb. Like all movies there are flaws but the end product was excellent. Will talk more about it once you guys had a chance to watch.

Want to talk about it so bad :p

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not a patch on Alien, and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath. Really run of the mill and predictable, but entertaining enough. I called the ending in the first 15 mins or so. I even laughed out loud at the predictability of one of the scenes. 5/10.

Nothing really original in this, and the main actors phoned it in a bit.

As for the ending...

Talk about predictable. The moment that mini flame thrower had no effect on the alien in the lab i knew it would end up surviving reentry. Plus, it was pretty obvious which life pod was heading back to earth...they purposely didn't make clear who was in which one (hence why it was obvious what would happen), and one of them was hit by debris sending it spiralling. Pretty lame IMO.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
I was really looking forward to this until the trailer seemed to spoil the entire film...?!

Will probably see it tomorrow.

Was saying the same thing myself which helped because i went in not expecting much. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Soldato
I was really looking forward to this until the trailer seemed to spoil the entire film...?!

Will probably see it tomorrow.
Ha I was just about to post exactly this. I usually try to avoid trailers as they give most of the film away but this one was quite sneaky as it seemed ambiguous at first and then suddenly plots everywhere. There will be no tension now as I know what its building to :(.

Man of Honour
I saw this yesterday - first spoiler tag contains actual big big spoilers whilst the second shows my 'rating' (if you just want to see that).

As mentioned above the film sort of 'blew it' with the trailer. Way, way too much info revealed regarding the major story arc so all I had to enjoy was the 'journey' of getting to the end game scenario. Once the parameters are set up there is basically nowhere the plot can go. It's hard for me to view the film with fresh eyes in light of the trailer so perhaps add an additional half point or full point to my final score so as to be a fairer rating with the aim of judging it on the film's actual merits.

The film was essentially a re-tread of some of the themes already well explored in alien, which means it can't really be praised for its originality, but the type of horror it went for was starkly different. The alien is pretty much established as being immensely overpowered from the get go so there is no 'hunt to try and kill it' or 'man vs alien', it's far more 'oh god get it away from me'. There are some horrendously claustrophobic moments that are hard to watch as the alien figures it's way into the confined spaces where the humans are cowering. This is done very well. The feelings of being 'chased up some stairs' and 'slowly drowning'? This film has both by the bucketload so credit where credit is due, there is a lot of sadistic horror to 'enjoy'. There is one part in particular, relatively early on, that had me and my company really squirming in our seats.

The alien itself was frightening but somewhat less so after they decided to give it a 'face' - it was scarier to me as a faceless amoeba. Not a major point but this transition didn't help the idea that we were 'retreading old ground'.

A notable merit was how the film really made it seem like they were in space - pretty amazing 'antigravity effects' going on the entire firm. The cast were all fairly decent too - no obvious clangers spring to mind.

It was interesting that they opted for the doom and gloom ending too - that was quite surprising to me I must say, but others could probably see it coming a mile off!

A rather massive plot hole, we thought, was that if the alien could just replicate from a single cell, why wasn't it just creating offspring left right and centre? Also surely any survivors would be contaminated with a single cell of the alien - so it was a bit dumb trying to escape to earth. Those aspects had to be overlooked for the sake of the plot so they didn't offend me, but had this been a truly original film then I would probably be more critical.

Overall a decent watch with commendable horror scenes and impressive effects. There is nothing that obviously detracts from it save for a feeling of over familiarity that really was not helped by the trailer at all.

My enjoyment of it (to be interpreted in light of my comments above) - 6.5/10

My company's rating 7/10

Last edited:
Caporegime
Saw it last night. Follows the formula very well. I agree with nitefly on everything.
Deffro worth seeing. I honestly think it will be better than alien covenant. Which will be formulaic but unoriginal. I know that's a huge contradiction.

Back
Top Bottom