Light Polution e-petition

Soldato
Couldn't see this already posted.

This is an e-petition to improve the UK's street lighting to reduce light polution (& energy usage).

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/27603

The night sky has inspired humanity for thousands of years. Our myths are built on it. We have learned to navigate the globe by it. Science has progressed because of it. Studying it had shown us our place in the universe and led to more stories, spiritual, philosophical, religious, social and emotional revolutions than any other part of our world. And yet every town and city in the country destroys it with light pollution.

This petition calls on government to give official support to the Campaign for Dark Skies, and grant the night sky the status of a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and/or an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB), and to support this status with a major energy efficiency strategy of re-configuring street lighting to protect the sky while meeting crime and safety objectives.

Associate
barely any lighting here as it is, stupid village. half of my walk home form work at night is in the dark, lucky its a quiet village with really low crime. light pollution isnt that bad anyway, stars are boring to look at.

Soldato
Who said "no public street lighting"...

What's being proposed is at least better use of it.

if better use of it = turning off between certain time then I still say no. Street lighting was invented for a reason, and that reason hasn't got any better over the last 20 years or so.

I value the safety of people in the streets at night far above your want or need to look at stars.

As suggested if you don't like city lights maybe move to the country or a small island somewhere off the shetlands.

Soldato
OP
Problem is though even small villages disrupt star gazing, there are only a few places in the UK you can get a clear view of the stars.

I've noticed in recent years, the street light outside my house turns off about midnight... Shame half the rest of the lights around my town don't do the same.

Soldato
OP
if better use of it = turning off between certain time then I still say no. Street lighting was invented for a reason, and that reason hasn't got any better over the last 20 years or so.

I value the safety of people in the streets at night far above your want or need to look at stars.
How about simply logical steps like:-
- Turning off lights not required (or when not required)?
- Using more efficient bulbs/lighting to produce less light pollution?

As suggested if you don't like city lights maybe move to the country or a small island somewhere off the shetlands.
As already suggested, stop being a numpty.

One

One

Soldato
Light pollution annoys me. Street lamp shining through my bedroom window but tbh, I don't like walking home when it's dark as it is, let alone with reduced street lighting.

Let's be honest, there is more than enough stars that you can see right now, If you focused on ten stars a night you'd still die before we needed to turn off street lamps so you could see more.

The proper cosmologists use different bands of the EM spectrum anyway so all in all I'd say that nothing will be done about it, regardless of this petition.

One

One

Soldato
How about just enlightening yourself maybe, rather than just wading in with a silly response in the first place?

He is right though. You can just start making a load of fuss about something for which you have no solution other than to say it needs to be made better.

"Some people are poor, I think we should re-distribute the wealth better." you can't turn that into a petition though. You should raise awareness first and then draw up some actual solutions that are viable options.

Soldato
How about simply logical steps like:-
- Turning off lights not required (or when not required)?
- Using more efficient bulbs/lighting to produce less light pollution?

As already suggested, stop being a numpty.

turning off lights in any large city is not an option anymore. The days of the world coming to rest in the hours of darkness is over. It would only take for 1 incident to happen in an area that had its lights turned out for there to be public outrage.

Again public safety > need for people to star gaze. There are very few places where this would actually work. Take london for example, yes all these corporations who leave their building lights on 24/7 should switch them off at night, but the public lighting in the street should remain.

Night deliveries in big cities is common, therefore the idea of a fleet of artic's hacking around the streets in the dark is insane.

Therefore my original statement of move out of the city if you don't like it stands.........

Permabanned
They tried this around where I live, turning alternate lights off on alternate nights....also switching off between set hours and several other ways...all of them resulted in increased petty crime and accidents. We are now back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom