Light Scratch Removal

Soldato
Gave the car a good wash today and I've found an annoying scratch on the bodywork below the rear windscreen.
It's about 15cm - 20cm in length, but not very wide, I cannot feel anything if I run a finger or my fingernail over it.
It really does give the impression it might polish out with some elbow grease and the right product.

I've seen products such as Maguires ScratchX 2.0 touted, but as many bad reviews as there are good.
Or is it worth going slightly more abrasive, something like Maguires Ultimate Compound (or similar).

This will be all applied by hand, buffed by hand - no machines or anything like that.

Soldato
Megs scratch X will cost you a tenner from Halfords or online plus some applicator pads and time. Worth a shot imo. I was skeptical when I tried it, but has worked a treat more than once for me. Just make sure the whole area is clean first, read the instructions and give it 2 or 3 goes if you are not happy with the result.

Associate
I used Meguiars Ultimate Compound to get rid of light swirl marks and refresh the paint. Very impressed with the results. I used their Mirofibre Application pads to put it on.

Associate
I’ve used Megs ultimate compound to get hedge scrapes off the side of my car, they’re not scratches but mark the paint enough that normal washing won’t get out. The compound and an applicator pad worked well.

Soldato
Maguires ScratchX 2.0 is decent stuff, may need to polish the surrounding areas of the car though as it's quite noticable that the area worked on looks more shiny and glossy than the rest of the car. Depending on what sort of scratch im dealing with i just use Maguires ScratchX 2 on its own, if it's still not comming out some 2500 grit or 3000 grit wet and dry over it lightly then use Maguires ScratchX 2 and it will take the scratch out no problem. Just remember that products such as Maguires ScratchX 2 is basically a polish with a sanding compound that basically does the job of sanding paper but no where near as coarse. probably in the 5000-7000 grit area. You can feel it when you rub it in your fingers. So depends on the scratch. Very light scratches and swirls then Maguires ScratchX 2 will deal with those with ease. deeper stuff may need more work with the product anything deeper then may need some wet and dry.

Soldato
What ever compound you choose to use also select a nice microfiber towel to do the job with, I personally find it helps to get better results if I use a decent one, preferably with no label or stitched boarder.

Back
Top Bottom