LIghting socket wiring help

Associate
Hi,

I'm trying to combine a single gang plate and a double gang plate into a triple gang plate.

This is the single gang that controls the porch light.

This is the double that controls the downstairs and upstairs hall

This is the new triple that I'm using. You can see that I'm copying the wiring and using the wire to join the 2 commons together like the switch. Ive taken it all apart just now but heres the diagram.

When its all wired up, the middle switch instead of operating the hall switch, turns on the porch.

Im trying to have the left side switch (as viewed from the back) control the porch and the other two the hall lights

Soldato
Don't wire it all at the same time, wire it one radial at a time then that way you will be able to see whats going on far more easily.

First wire the two single way switches (the down & upstairs) once you have got them working on the switches you desire move onto the final two-way switch (The porch light)

Also are you 100% sure you have identified the cables/switches correctly ? Seems strange to have a two-way porch light? Two-Way is normally used in landings or at the bottom and top of stairs!

Associate
OP
The two way is the up and downstairs.

The single is the porch light.

I'll wire them individually and see how I get on

Edited.

problem solved. Doing them individually, the 2 way controls the porch and hall.

I’ve only stayed in the house 30ish years and got the switches wrong:rolleyes:

thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom