1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightweight Jacket Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Biker's Cafe' started by PsychoPigeon, Jul 6, 2019.

1. PsychoPigeon

Wise Guy

I passed my CBT recently and also took a few extra lessons, mainly to see if I enjoyed riding more than anything - which I did. One aspect that I was put off by was how weighed down I was with the helmet, gloves, and thick jacket. With all the checks and how more aware I had to be compared to driving a car I felt like it was really hindered by the gear. I would like to trade off some of the additional safety in return for gloves that give back a bit more control, and a jacket that is more of a slimmer lighter fit.

In all the stores in my area the jackets are more or less the same, overly big, thick, and weighty. I'm curious if anyone here would have experience with something a little different, perhaps some of the Summer jackets. It would have to be waterproof.

2. tom_e

Man of Honour

I wear a dainese air frame iirc mesh jacket in the summer anything heavier and I'd die from dehydration pretty quickly.

3. PsychoPigeon

Wise Guy

After riding for 1.5 hours on my lesson I was drenched in sweat, like I was in the tropics. It wasn't that hot, there was just no air flow.

I took a look at the Dainese Air Frame and it looks really thin but along the lines of what I'm looking for, does it actually feel like it would offer protection if you came off the bike?

4. tom_e

Man of Honour

The armour is substantial, the elbow armour actually covers most of your forearm as well and the shoulders are decent sized. The material itself will obviously never be quiet as resistant to abrasion as a heavy multilayer material but the massive increase in comfort and therefore concentration is worth it for me.

5. BUDFORCE

Wise Guy

I got a leather jacket from sportsbikeshop which is pretty light it does have armour in. Richa I think.

I have the short size zip on the back which then zips into a pair of bullet bike jeans, which I purchased some D3 armour pads to go in, then some short boot style motorcycle boots.

Whole setup is fairly light and easy to move around in, and somewhat practical off the bike.

It's only good for summer though, the jeans obviously are not waterproof and the jacket has little to no insulation, so bear that in mind if you need an all year round solution.

I would recommend having a good trawl through on sportsbikeshop, I really recommend those guys, they are good for returning stuff so you can try bits out, see what is what.

The only thing of course, getting lightweight nice bike gear which offers protection will cost you, it's where you pay a lot more over cheaper bulkier gear.

6. djjuk

Hitman

I've got a leather jacket for the warmer days. As above fairly light with decent armour and paired with decent one layer bike jeans and summer gloves it works well for me on hot days.

7. PsychoPigeon

Wise Guy

Hey, I got myself a Dainese Air Frame and really like it. I bought a back shield since the jacket felt exposed in that area and figured I would get the extra protection. I'm finding the G2 back shield is pulling the jacket back and it digs in to my neck because of the weight. Just wondering if you experienced the same thing or maybe you didn't buy the additional shield.

8. tom_e

Man of Honour

I don't wear a back protector with it so I can't offer any advice on that one.

9. duc999

Wise Guy

Wear what you want just buy motocross armour to wear underneath ;)

10. Maccapacca

Tea

Any new jacket will feel bulky and heavy, most leathers need breaking in and ease with time.

I've got Frank Thomas dynamic jacket and trousers and don't heat up too much. They have textile areas that keep you cool.

11. Smok3y

Wise Guy

I got an alpine stars air flow thing from that place in Northwich who's name escapes me atm for £140 I think it was. They had the dainese variety for £100 more.