Like HWMonitor, but for MacOS?

Associate
Is there something like HWMonitor for MacOS that will give me performance metrics such as but not limited to CPU load and core temperatures?

Looking to spend $0.00 on this.

Thanks!

Oh and on a side note I don't see anybody calling it OSX any more. Is it no longer referred to as OSX? Has it been around so long that the X lost all meaning and now it's just OS?

Soldato
It's been bought into line with iOS etc. so it's official name is MacOS. Monity is a good option although I think it's a couple of quid from memory. iStat menus another - not sure, but I think there's a free version of that.

Commissario
I wouldn't bother. This is something that people coming from Windows seem to fixate on, that they must know what their Mac is doing. It really doesn't matter, you don't need to know what the CPU load, core temperature and RAM usage (etc) is and you won't benefit from it in any way whatsoever.

You'll think I'm being all superior but really, it's irrelevant. Just use and enjoy your new iMac and don't worry about the state of the hardware.

Man of Honour
I used to use iStat menu's till it upgraded and demanded more money from me. So I got rid and haven't missed it at all.

Soldato
Depends what you use it for really - my iMac usually has a ton of VMs running, often with media workloads - the stats help me spot when things are going badly. On my laptop(s) it's usually just out of geek-interest.

Does anyone still use GeekTool? I know it takes a bit of setting up, but it's handy to have stuff displayed on your desktop.

Associate
OP
I wouldn't bother. This is something that people coming from Windows seem to fixate on, that they must know what their Mac is doing. It really doesn't matter, you don't need to know what the CPU load, core temperature and RAM usage (etc) is and you won't benefit from it in any way whatsoever.

You'll think I'm being all superior but really, it's irrelevant. Just use and enjoy your new iMac and don't worry about the state of the hardware.

I'm drunk enough right now to take your advice but when I sober up I'm going to want that info again hehe.

Back
Top Bottom