Like that loud exhaust? You need locking up you psychopath!

Soldato
for me it isnt about the loudness, but it is about the sound, and the loudness does play a part.

for instance people rag up and down the town centre during the warm summer nights often in chavved out cars, they are loud but to me they sound awful.

but a nice V8 with a big exhaust (one fitting of the car) and a growly raw, that i can dig.

as for another post about silent EVs.... maybe it was a thing. I must admit my wife in her i3 can sneak up on me and i wont hear her, same with another person i know with an old leaf.

but any more modern EV, such as my ipace, you can hear them just fine

Last edited:
Soldato
for me it isnt about the loudness, but it is about the sound, and the loudness does play a part.

for instance people rag up and down the town centre during the warm summer nights often in chavved out cars, they are loud but to me they sound awful.

but a nice V8 with a big exhaust (one fitting of the car) and a growly raw, that i can dig.

as for another post about silent EVs.... maybe it was a thing. I must admit my wife in her i3 can sneak up on me and i wont hear her, same with another person i know with an old leaf.

but any more modern EV, such as my ipace, you can hear them just fine

Yea the tyre noise on the larger/heavier ones is pretty horrible, louder than some engines+tyres of small cars.

And the sound the Zoe makes, which sounds like it permanently has a bad wheel bearing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea the tyre noise on the larger/heavier ones is pretty horrible, louder than some engines+tyres of small cars.

And the sound the Zoe makes, which sounds like it permanently has a bad wheel bearing.
I like the sound of my ipace, it's.a bit like a space ship in a sci-fi movie :D
I also like the sound of teslas

Last edited:
Soldato
Have to agree with that. I've been caught off guard a couple of times by EVs but it has always been when they are pulling away or moving from a parking space. Now they all have to sound like some car designers wet dream version of Tron it's less of an issue.
The worse thing they rarely bother to signal before pulling away they're simply stationary and then they're not and unless you're looking at them you won't notice until they're in your face nearly been caught out a couple of times

Soldato
Loud with a good tone is fine, lots of crappy chaved up 4 pots going around that are too loud and sound awful though.

I think there is a limit even for nice sounding cars though. There's something with a extremely loud V8 that drives around near me regularly, haven't caught what it is yet but it's way too loud. Vibrates the whole flat when it goes by and can hear it in the distance for miles

I have an m140i with a double resonator delete and that's perfectly loud for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
A chap i once knew had a 4.5l cerbera (i almost bought one myself after going out in it), that thing would set off car alarms when it drove past :D

when he came to visit, even sat inside the house with windows closed i could hear him before i could see him come around the estate.

When i followed him, in my nissan 350z, i had a real problem with getting my own gears correct because his car was so loud i couldnt hear mine. it was an utterly insane car.

Last edited:
Caporegime
As others have said, if it's loud but a nice tone then it's fine.

There's a guy near me with a new Ferrari 296 GTB. The one with the V6... and I have to say it sounds awful. Just so loud it shakes the street. He had a 458 before and the difference was night and day as it sounded glorious.

Soldato
As others have said, if it's loud but a nice tone then it's fine.

There's a guy near me with a new Ferrari 296 GTB. The one with the V6... and I have to say it sounds awful. Just so loud it shakes the street. He had a 458 before and the difference was night and day as it sounded glorious.

Many of the modern supercars just don't sound that great tbh, just shouty and quite artificial. Nothing like the old, NA manuals.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom