Limescale remover

Associate
I'm sure there is some clean freaks in here..

I need a decent limescale remover,

I've various jobs around the house to use it on, however my main one is repairing the power switch on our power shower

The thermostatic valve has been leaking over the dual speed switch mechanism and has scaled it up so the slider no longer slides freely causing it to stick.

I've tried scraping of the limescale and it has helped a bit but the sliding action still isn't as smooth as it needs to be.

It would also be useful for around the taps and toilet bowl.

I've tried the shop bought descalers (viakal etc) and frankly they don't work.

Short of brick acid, is there anything people have used on here and swear by?

Last edited:
Associate
I always found Viakal reasonably good but for stuff like switches is there any way you could remove them and soak them in some limescale remover? That might work better than just spraying it on?

Associate
OP
I always found Viakal reasonably good but for stuff like switches is there any way you could remove them and soak them in some limescale remover? That might work better than just spraying it on?

Unfortunately the switch is moulded into the housing, and I don't want to get fluid into the switch. So i need to localise the descaler as much as possible

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure how it would work on something you can't submerge, but in the first house I bought, the toilet was full of limescale at the bottom of the bowl. I tried everything, to no avail. Then I poured half a litre of coke down there one night as a last resort and left it till the morning, flushed it and it was almost gone completely! The limescale that is, not the toilet.

Soldato
Try soaking a bit of kitchen paper in vinegar (distilled/clear to avoid staining) then placing the paper wherever it is that needs descaling. Don't expect instant results, but it's cheap enough to try a few times.

Lemon juice might also work.

Soldato
Citric acid, cheap, versatile, and you can dilute it to what ever concentrate you want.
This, it can be bought from local Asian shops for about £1 a bag and i use it to descale my kettle and Nespresso machine.

You can also make a paste with it, just add some citric acid into a bowl, keep adding some drops of hot water until u get a paste consistency and then brush it onto whatever you need to descale, this method works well on shower heads.

Associate
OP
Nuclear option is spirits of salt. But it’s extremely corrosive so I would only use that as a last resort. I’ve used it quite a few times to remove scale from the toilet.

This sounds like my kind of solution, go big go home lol.

At work to descale the seawater cooler's we use brick cleaning acid and it works wonders, but it kills chrome..

Back
Top Bottom