LinkedIn "Open to Opportunities"

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I read the blurb about the "Open to Opportunities" feature and switched it on:

The secret to career happiness is finding a job you love, however there is no way to tell the world that you’re open to new opportunities without worrying about your employer finding out.

https://blog.linkedin.com/2016/10/0...ly-signal-to-recruiters-youre-open-to-new-job

Today I received an e-mail from LinkedIn informing me of the companies that have come across my profile since switching it on. Imagine my surprise, when right there in the middle of the list, was my current company.

Given the inference from above, and the fact that LinkedIn has an abundance of intelligent code behind the scenes, surely it is a single line of code to prohibit recruiters from your current company from seeing your profile.
Unless they are seeing only content, and not names, I can't see the logic behind this. Even then, the unique aspects of my role that I advertise, are enough to pinpoint exactly who it is.

Needless to say I switched the option off immediately.

Caporegime
I'd be tempted to always keep it on by default, just as when linkedin first came out IIRC you when originally filled out the profile you got the opportunity to tick whether you're interested in job offers, networking etc...

I mean so what if you're open for opportunities, most employees should always be open for opportunities.

Caporegime
An employer getting upset if they find out their staff are all open to better offers and are only working at the current company because they are happy enough to have not left yet seems like their finger might be a long way off the pulse.

Back
Top Bottom