Linksys static IP

Soldato
Hi,

My router currently uses DHCP to hand out the IPs and I want to keep it that way apart from a select few PCs.

I'd like to be able to assign a static IP to 2 PCs on the network.

I've tried putting the IP under "Static DNS 1:" and then setting the IP in Windows as well but that way I only get network access, no internet access. When I set the static IP in Windows on it's own the same problem comes up.

Any ideas please?

Thanks,
Craig.

Caporegime
Any ideas please?

Yeah, don't stick them in the static DNS section, as they aren't IP addresses of DNS servers.

Just make sure that the static IP addresses you want to use aren't in the scope of the routers DHCP address pool.

You should have the option to say start DHCP from 192.168.1.XXX, where XXX is a number you assign, 100 is a good bet (assuming you are running the default address range).

Assign the PC's static IP addresses from somewhere in the range prior to XXX (but not giving them the same IP as the router), and assign their gateway to be the IP address of the router, and their primary DNS to be the IP address of the router (or if you want to do it properly, go to the DSL status page on your router's config pages and get the IP addresses of two of the three DNS servers that it is forwarding queries to, and use those IP addresses).

Caporegime
You can add static DHCP leases in System Tools -> DHCP on my WRT54GS v1.1, but it's possible that option isn't there on yours.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, don't stick them in the static DNS section, as they aren't IP addresses of DNS servers.

Just make sure that the static IP addresses you want to use aren't in the scope of the routers DHCP address pool.

You should have the option to say start DHCP from 192.168.1.XXX, where XXX is a number you assign, 100 is a good bet (assuming you are running the default address range).

Assign the PC's static IP addresses from somewhere in the range prior to XXX (but not giving them the same IP as the router), and assign their gateway to be the IP address of the router, and their primary DNS to be the IP address of the router (or if you want to do it properly, go to the DSL status page on your router's config pages and get the IP addresses of two of the three DNS servers that it is forwarding queries to, and use those IP addresses).

Ah, thanks very much. It was the DNS server IPs I was missing :)

Also, does anyone know the default SNMP community string for a Linksys router please?

Back
Top Bottom