Linus Tech tips

Soldato
His video content has changed so drastically over the last couple of years I've just stopped watching. I literally do not care about servers....

Associate
Video titles have zero info on what it’s about, and the picture is one of those typical clickbait open mouth things.

He’s also become a pain. Feels like he goes out of his way to break things now. Anthony is the only person that I find watchable on their network.

Reactions: KIA
Soldato
Been subbed for a very long time now, back since they were in the house. Things have certainly changed. But they don't have a lot of choice, they need to make money, and they need to trigger the algorithm to do that, hence the clickbait titles and thumbnails, which honestly don't bother me one bit. Linus addressed that again recently in a tweet, he'd love to put in a descriptive title, but it simply doesn't sell on Youtube.

I used to watch every single video they made, now there's usually a couple a week that don't appeal to me, but that's fine. They can't make the same old content and expect to survive. They're now got an amazing crew and I think there's plenty of good things to come. Speaking of which, I think LTT Labs is going to be pretty exciting.

I watch the WAN Show weekly too, I enjoy that a lot. I've always been quite a big fan of Linus, he has my respect for generally being very honest, open and upfront.

Soldato
After years of being subscribed I'm starting to get really annoyed with Linus himself purely down to him heavily leaning into the "clumsy oaf" persona which started with his apparently genuine "I dropped this" stuff but has now morphed into "hey let's see how badly I can bodge/break this $100k server" type stuff as he point blank refuses to to treat expensive items with respect as he yanks on cables, pulls on components etc and then 7mins into the video is complaining that the item doesn't work.

I don't mind the expansion of the video range which now covers consumer, pro-sumer and business, or the expansion into home IT, its purely down to Linus himself and it feels like that same stye of presenting is starting to effect the more "professional" guys like Antony and Alex now. LTT always had a cast of "wacky" folks to cover that end of the spectrum so it's a shame to see that diversity of ability slowly being ditched into a singular "one of us....." style of presenting, but I suppose that what the YT Algorithm wants now.

Associate
His video content has changed so drastically over the last couple of years I've just stopped watching. I literally do not care about servers....
funny
I used to be meh about LTT, but started following almost all of his content about 2 years ago. Stream when he was building 6 or 8 identical workstations got me.
Server stuff not really relevant, but gives a glimpse of how the big dogs run.

Soldato
funny
I used to be meh about LTT, but started following almost all of his content about 2 years ago. Stream when he was building 6 or 8 identical workstations got me.
Server stuff not really relevant, but gives a glimpse of how the big dogs run.
Horses for courses and all that stuff. I used to like him getting all the big expensive gaming gear and seeing what kind of beast he could create but I guess that side if gaming is now dead

Caporegime
I stopped watching years ago when he was a millionaire but still filled his videos with adverts... I remember when he used to do unboxing video literally in the street.

long gone are the humble days

Caporegime
Still largely enjoy his content, especially the factory visits he does (Intel Israel being the latest). One of the OG crew just left - Taran. As long as the likes of Anthony, Dennis, Alex, Jake and Sarah don't leave - I'm all good lol.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
The consumer component space is a little stagnant lately so I appreciate they need to find alternative content, but this house move is so self-serving (especially given most of his staff seem to live in small flats) and I just think it's crass.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I remember the channel when he used to store all his content on hard drives which he kept in the bath tub :D

The move to click-bait thumbnails was garish but I can't knock the guy for trying to keep a roof of his head... they've got a bigger team now and need to keep the lights on. That said, they're obviously rolling in the cash from sponsorship deals so I didn't think it was particularly needed.

Some of the tech they feature is so far beyond the reach of the mortal man that I sort of see what you're saying but the days of the unboxings with a hand held camera are long gone. I subscribe to enough channels that I'm not bothered about watching every video and tend to dip in whenever I see a topic that might interest me. The best ones are when Linus addresses a particular issue as a talking head... or the videos with Luke/Anthony.

Soldato
I still, for the most part, enjoy LTT content though one thing that does wind me up, and it's the same with Jayztwocents, is how sometimes they handle the technology most of us couldn't afford in a manner that I wouldn't but then again I have to pay for mine.

Caporegime
He has broadened and expanded a lot, there is Short Circuits, Tech Linked, I think there is the regular podcast and also a movie podcast, there is a Mac channel, there is also a whole side that translates it for the Chinese version of YouTube.

Then there are the merchandise, there is also Flowplane. He has a lot of fingers in a lot of pies so naturally his content will change and has changed. Not to mention there is a new video everyday, that is a lot of projects going on at once, a lot of writers, editors, producers.

I don’t watch everything, just watch what interests me.

Back
Top Bottom