Linux/GRUB - BIOS and Grub Visual Corruption

Soldato
Not sure if this is caused by Linux (Lubuntu in my case) or GRUB, but my bios splash screen is visually garbled (though bios enters fine) and my GRUB menu background seems to be a random colour on each boot.

Everything works correctly once into either OS, so I presume it's just a visual thing.

I'm running an RX480 via display port, to a 2560x1440 monitor. I've a UEFI BIOS and created a UEFI partition for Lubuntu as instructed during installation. I've got Windows 10 on one drive and Lubuntu on a separate drive.

I've dabbled with linux, but am not especially au fait with it, so if i've missed anything or you need further info or screenshots/photos, let me know.

Thanks all :)

Associate
Does this only happen on restart, or does it happen every time you power up?

On Polaris cards (RX 460/470/480 etc) I see similar display corruption with my LG monitor (27UK650) only on restarts, which I can workaround by replugging the monitor cable, and this happens on DP & HDMI. It doesn't happen every time though, and sometimes the monitor displays no image at all until the OS switches to the usual desktop screen resolution.

It seems that on a warm start, the monitor is sometimes unable to correctly interpret the screen format from the graphics card. It's nothing to do with Linux, as this happens well before Linux is involved at BIOS time. I think it's a common problem (https://community.amd.com/thread/203956).

Soldato
OP
Does this only happen on restart, or does it happen every time you power up?

On Polaris cards (RX 460/470/480 etc) I see similar display corruption with my LG monitor (27UK650) only on restarts, which I can workaround by replugging the monitor cable, and this happens on DP & HDMI. It doesn't happen every time though, and sometimes the monitor displays no image at all until the OS switches to the usual desktop screen resolution.

It seems that on a warm start, the monitor is sometimes unable to correctly interpret the screen format from the graphics card. It's nothing to do with Linux, as this happens well before Linux is involved at BIOS time. I think it's a common problem (https://community.amd.com/thread/203956).

Only on restarts. I have gone back to windows 10 and had no issues since. I wonder if it's something to do with CSM in the bios?

Back
Top Bottom