[Linux Noob] Transferring files from ntfs to ext3 on the same external HDD.

Associate
I have have an Humax Foxsat HDR and I would like to be able to transfer a video, that's larger than 4Gb, to it. The video is stored on the NTFS partition of my external HDD. The HDR doesn't recognize NTFS so I need to transfer the video file to the ext3 partition of the external HDD which I use as an archive for the HDR.

Being a complete Linux mega noob, I have no idea how to do this... I should say that Ubuntu is installed on my old PC and I've tried copying/moving the files from one partition to the other but it's saying that I don't have permission to move data to the ext3 partition.

Can someone please help me out?

Soldato
Presumably the two partitions are mounted in /media, eg '/media/ntfs' and '/media/ext3'?

If so then open a terminal and type:
cp /media/ntfs/file1.avi /media/ext3/

If that fails with a permissions error you can use:
sudo cp /media/ntfs/file1.avi /media/ext3/

That will be fine but do be a bit wary of using sudo to do stuff, it removes a lot of the restrictions that protects important files/configs :)

Associate
OP
Presumably the two partitions are mounted in /media, eg '/media/ntfs' and '/media/ext3'?

If so then open a terminal and type:
cp /media/ntfs/file1.avi /media/ext3/

If that fails with a permissions error you can use:
sudo cp /media/ntfs/file1.avi /media/ext3/

That will be fine but do be a bit wary of using sudo to do stuff, it removes a lot of the restrictions that protects important files/configs :)

Thanks, I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Soldato
Surely you wouldn't need to press alt+f2, just enter any terminal to do the same...

I generally only press alt+f2 or similar when X decides to fall over, which is fairly rare these days...

Associate
OP
No wonder there has been no reply to my last post... I didn't post it! (durp)

Anyway, what I wanted to know was is there any risk to the data on my external HDD using these methods?

[EDIT] Turns out there wasn't much to worry about on the HDD so I ended up trying to reformat it using gparted but that didn't change the permissions/owner of the ext3 partition. So I've tried
Code:
sudo chown username /media/partitionname
...which appears to have done the job. I must say, this whole command line/terminal malarkey is oddly enjoyable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom