Linx 7 OTG use USB device and charge it at the same time

Associate
Long thread about Dell Venue 8 OTG is here

Eventually Dell came up with Dell Micro USB Dongle for Data and Charging

Another option USB OTG Charger HUB

Or DIY "solution"

Would any of them work on Linx?
(or Linx is one of those totally dummy ones):

Most Windows tablets on the market that we’ve tested will not accept a charging signal when an USB device is connected. Despite how complex or intelligent our Pro8 dock is, because of this behavior it will not work with tablets that do not accept a charging signal at the same time as a USB device is connected. Fortunately some tablets have more sophisticated circuits that can both charge and accept USB devices at the same time with the help of our dock.

as per Plugable Pro8 Docking Station (UD-PRO8)

Anybody tried any of the above yet?

Thanks

sc

Man of Honour
I suspect your not going to have much luck with the LinX 7/8 charging and using USB at the same time I was reading a thread on another tablet that uses the same internals and they had no luck even with some fairly clever setups short of opening it up and adding some components to the PCB.

Associate
OP
Sadly you get what you pay for then...

But honestly how much more would it cost manufacturer to add this functionality? A couple of bucks at most?
Short sighted design...

Associate
Hello, charging in OTG mode is possible:

http://www.linxtablet.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=38&p=48

Power + Data using OTG
Post a reply
Search
Search this topic…
112 posts • Page 1 of 12 • 12345 ... 12
Power + Data using OTG
Postby mbuckhurst » December 24th, 2014, 2:17 am

Hidden text: OFF
Firstly some disclaimers:

1) The manufacturing of these leads is seriously poor
2) There are definite differences between batches of the cables, so an identical cable may not work
3) I resoldered my microusb plug, so potentially I fixed a problem

The cable I used is a 4 USB port (3 data + 1 power) from Ebay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271641277647? ... EBIDX%3AIT you can purchase this in the UK or from Hong Kong, it only took a couple of days to arrive.

My cable arrived with the micro usb port case apart in transit, initially it worked for data or charge, but not both, but very quickly one of the cables broke of, I had to resolder all the cables back onto the micro usb plug, shortening them to get clean wire first. I don't think this is relevant but until I get a new replacement I can't test.

I had been experimenting with the BIOS and noticed there's an OTG option, that's disabled, I'd turned it on and off in the past, but under no circumstances would it allow charging using a standard OTG cable, hence the purchase of the 4 port cable that supposedly worked with a Galaxy S4.

I'd forgotten about this setting in the BIOS, until it was mentioned on the HUKD deal for the 8" (Soza), I'd not tried it before, anyway, setting this option to PCI, rebooting the tablet with the cable plugged in and set to charge, and a couple of devices connected, for the first time ever, I see activity on the data wires, into the OS and it's working, I've got it charging and can still see a wireless keyboard + USB memory chip, I suspect the charge may be slower, but it's stopped Windows complaining of low battery, so it seems to at least be recognised by the OS.

The exact method I followed:

1) Plug 4 port cable into USB on tablet, with the switch set to data and keyboard plugged into one of the data ports.
2) Boot to BIOS - Hold DEL key as soon as you see the LINX logo.
3) Navigate to the Chipset menu using the arrow keys on your keyboard
4) Using the down arrow select the South Bridge option (it goes white when selected)
5) Press Enter
6) Using the down arrow select USB Configuration
7) Press Enter
8) Using the down arrow select USB OTG Support
9) Press Enter and select PCI mode from the popup menu
10) Press Esc twice to get back to the main menu
11) Use the arrow keys to get to the Save & Exit menu
12) Select Save Changes and Exit

Initially I had the cable plugged in, set to charge, plus the USB devices in their sockets, booting the tablet had them recognised and working. I've since tested plugging in and out of the tablet, and in all cases if it's set to charge, it will charge and have data.

I've tried with a Playbook micro-usb charger and external battery pack (2.1A) and in all cases the tablet believes it's charging whilst still showing data devices.

Changing power sources disconnects the USB devices, which promptly reconnect once power is re-applied.

mike
mbuckhurst
Original Member
Original Member

Linx Tablet: Linx 7
Retailer: Online
Windows Version: Windows 8.1

I have a Cube iWork7 which has similar hardware and it charges just fine, after changing setting in BIOS and making a self made OTG cable with charger end.

Back
Top Bottom