Living room - Portable Setup

Associate
Hi

I'm looking for some advice regards a change in my current setup. I currently have the following build :-

Ryzen 1700
Gigabyte Ab350 Gaming 3 motherboard
MSI Nvidia GT710 (sold the 1080ti) to pay for the PS5 (oops)
Corsair K70 Keyboard
Corsair M65 Mouse
Phanteks Case

I'm looking at a new build with a case small enough to fit in the TV unit, but portable enough to move about. The NZXT H1 appears to fit the bill.
Just looking at ideas, not putting a budget on it atm.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Cabinet Space

Current Setup

Associate
Yeah partly on TV partly on a monitor. It'll be running on a LG C1 so if i have to bite the bullet to get a beefy card, it'll have to be factored in
Bite the bullet and get a 4K GPU. 3080 or something. Especially one that can run DLSS so that any demanding games can be upscaled from 1440P to 4K. That doesn't impact the look of the game that much and the fps still stay high.

Associate
Update your BIOS and install a 5700X if you just wanted a drop in upgrade. That or a 5600X which would be almost as fast but easier to cool and cheaper.

You could probably find a second hand B450 ITX board for next to nothing for the H1 chassis.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £960.48 (includes delivery: £10.50)​

Associate
OP
Update your BIOS and install a 5700X if you just wanted a drop in upgrade.

You could probably find a second hand B450 ITX board for next to nothing for the H1 chassis.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £960.48 (includes delivery: £10.50)​

Thanks very much for the feedback, much appreciated. That gives me a starter for ten

Associate
What's your thoughts case wise?
THe H1 combo of PSU cooler and chassis is a good value no compatibility issue idea.

You will need a cooler for the 5700X and a beefy PSU for the GPU so it makes sense to just get all 3 in one.

I would go for an AIO over an air cooler because the air coolers I've found only work with either AMD or Intel so it could be a waste if I switch to either brand.

I run the Q58 X3 and it's good but it's not an easy solution as the H1 would be - I have the SF750 PSU which is a fantastic PSU.

Soldato
I had no idea that that TV could do that. I don’t know TVs at all so forgive my ignorance.

So 3060 ti would work?
TBF I have very little experience shoving 1440p into 4k displays OTHER than LG OLED :) It just happens to be considered very good at upscaling. No idea how other TVs perform, I wouldn't like to do it on a normal PC monitor!

I'm still on a GTX 1070 and flip between 1080@120 and 1440/4k@60 depending on performance and whether I'd like higher frame rates or prettier graphics. So probably I'd go with the best bang for buck option, which to me looks like 3060 Ti or 3070. All depends on OP's budget I suppose!

Associate
OP
Thanks both for the comments. I know using a TV is going to be different from a monitor but being able to swap between the two would be good. I like the fact that Ryzen allows me to upgrade my rig gradually with some backwards compatibility.

Associate
Thanks both for the comments. I know using a TV is going to be different from a monitor but being able to swap between the two would be good. I like the fact that Ryzen allows me to upgrade my rig gradually with some backwards compatibility.
Yeah, it's nice that AMD gave so many years of support to Ryzen.

I'd upgrade your current rig and see if that works for you as a living room PC or if you NEED to move to an ITX H1 build.

Associate
OP
Yeah, it's nice that AMD gave so many years of support to Ryzen.

I'd upgrade your current rig and see if that works for you as a living room PC or if you NEED to move to an ITX H1 build.
Thank you. I think my only concern was the size of my existing tower and working out where to put it so it didn’t appear out of place.
I know in terms of cost, to down size to the H1 is significant

Associate
I know in terms of cost, to down size to the H1 is significant
Going small is always expensive. Always. ITX is such a rabbit hole of costs.

You need an SF PSU which is more expensive. The chassis isn't cheap. The motherboard usually costs more. YOu need a good cooler because of the lack of airflow.

It's worthwhile if you know that you want ITX but the costs are just very high.

You could just put the computer in a cabinet next to the TV?

Soldato
I don't think you're supposed to put the H1 on it's side as it will block some ventilation so I don't even know if that will work.

How tall in CMs is your cabinet?

Associate
OP
Going small is always expensive. Always. ITX is such a rabbit hole of costs.

You need an SF PSU which is more expensive. The chassis isn't cheap. The motherboard usually costs more. YOu need a good cooler because of the lack of airflow.

It's worthwhile if you know that you want ITX but the costs are just very high.

You could just put the computer in a cabinet next to the TV?
True, i'll do some testing with it and see how it looks alongside the existing unit

Associate
OP
I don't think you're supposed to put the H1 on it's side as it will block some ventilation so I don't even know if that will work.

How tall in CMs is your cabinet?
I'll have a look and report back. I did wonder if the H1 would work sideways but lack of airflow, probably not

Back
Top Bottom