Living room totally wrecked...my rights?

Soldato
Hey there OCUK!

I'll get to the point

Living room ruined due to sewage water coming up from below (theres a grate/drain under carpet) Living room is on extension of house. The smell is overpoweringly bad.

Landlord has said we cant use water in kitchen or washing machine. (yeah im renting) that was Sunday. Water is gone from living room but its still disgusting. Still cant use taps in kitchen or use washing machine.

Do i have rights in this kinda situation? I know landlords are obligated to make repairs but im not sure on the timescale. None of us can wash our clothes (approx 8 other people here in HMO)

I txted him yesterday to ask for an update - no answer yet.

Soldato
I think, but might depend on your tenancy agreement, you might be able to sort it out yourself and then withhold rents to the value of your expenditure. You should be seen to mitigate losses though so make sure you get a few quotes to rectify the issue. You shouldn't necessarily have to go with the cheapest but a reasoned judgment for not doing so should be noted, i.e. because the cheapest couldn't act for another two days but the contractor I hired could come out immediately for only 10% higher than the cheapest guy.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Lol - a sewer grate under the living room carpet?

What kind of cowboy built the extension?

Soldato
OP
I think, but might depend on your tenancy agreement, you might be able to sort it out yourself and then withhold rents to the value of your expenditure. You should be seen to mitigate losses though so make sure you get a few quotes to rectify the issue. You shouldn't necessarily have to go with the cheapest but a reasoned judgment for not doing so should be noted, i.e. because the cheapest couldn't act for another two days but the contractor I hired could come out immediately for only 10% higher than the cheapest guy.

I agree but im not sure on the timescale involved. After X amount of time (depending on nature of the fault) i can bring someone in to fix it. Given the nature of the damage are we talking after 1 week if its not sorted i can bring someone in? or 2 weeks 3 weeks etc?

Soldato
OP
house has 3 floors - living room is on basement kinda level my room is on 3rd floor so thankfully the smell barely reaches up here.

Apparently 3 workmen were here this afternoon - lifted up the grate - they had masks on the smell was that bad.

Permabanned
I agree but im not sure on the timescale involved. After X amount of time (depending on nature of the fault) i can bring someone in to fix it. Given the nature of the damage are we talking after 1 week if its not sorted i can bring someone in? or 2 weeks 3 weeks etc?

How did the lease/rental agreement come about?

Soldato
Grate/Drain under the living Room? Sorry but what on earth?

Does the landlord take any money for the buildings insurance from you? It's his job to maintain the structure/integrity of the building, this includes any drains/sewers. Check your tenancy agreement/lease for the terms and conditions on this. I would keep bugging him as that is highly unacceptable.

Seriously, a Drain in the living Room?

Associate
What is the living room in, some sort of converted garage? Is it a legitimate rental? Just checking as its odd to have a drain in that sort of location.

Check your agreement but water and safety are an obligation and they have to provide it and make good in a certain time period. The key is water really as ain addition to the damage Landlords are responsible for the supply of water, gas, electricity etc.

This is a useful link and worth a read on carrying out your own repairs.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/engla...home_e/getting_repairs_done_while_renting.htm

Soldato
OP
the tenancy agreement was basically one page it mentioned repairs but not specifics...hrmm need to have a look for it.

living room is like a summerhouse extension kinda thing.

ohh i should add that the landlords son basically does all the house repairs. (plumbing, electric etc)

hes just arrived now actually....(11pm) i guess hes gonna do some work?

Soldato
Isn't your landlord now in breach of contract because it's unfit for human habitation?

Do you want to rip up the agreement, get refunded any deposit and unused rent and go elsewhere, or do you just want refunded for the time he spends fixing it?

Soldato
OP
Dimple i dont have his address and he wouldnt pick up his phone hence i had to "txt" him

Sure i could say "TEXT" him but im sure you're not being that incredibly anal surely?

The Halk said:
Do you want to rip up the agreement, get refunded any deposit and unused rent and go elsewhere, or do you just want refunded for the time he spends fixing it?

i just want to be able to wash my clothes and use the water in the kitchen. I can accept sorting the living room properly might take a bit longer.

i would be out of pocket if i decided to move out because of this. Cost of moving, time off work, hassle etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dimple i dont have his address and he wouldnt pick up his phone hence i had to "txt" him

Sure i could say "TEXT" him but im sure you're not being that incredibly anal surely?

i just want to be able to wash my clothes and use the water in the kitchen. I can accept sorting the living room properly might take a bit longer.

i would be out of pocket if i decided to move out because of this. Cost of moving, time off work, hassle etc.

"txted" sounds a bit special.

Soldato

I don't know what you want him to do then, unless you're looking for ways to harry him into getting it sorted faster?

Back
Top Bottom