Loads of problems with a friend's computer

Associate
Remove the nvidia drivers including ide etc, then install the ones from the drivers CD that came with the mobo. If i remember correctly prior to v6.65 the drivers worked fine - and the ones on the CD will probably be earlier than that.

If that solves the problem and you still want the latest nvidia drivers, download them but only install the chipset driver - nothing else (ide, ethernet etc) and everything should still work fine.

Marc

Soldato
A Freind of mine had a simmilar problem. What it boiled down to was he wasnt being to forthcoming with the truth. Basically he was using a dodgy copy of XP as opposed to legit.

One format later and XP Pro purchased from OcUK cured all his ills

Associate
marc mercer said:
Remove the nvidia drivers including ide etc, then install the ones from the drivers CD that came with the mobo. If i remember correctly prior to v6.65 the drivers worked fine - and the ones on the CD will probably be earlier than that.

If that solves the problem and you still want the latest nvidia drivers, download them but only install the chipset driver - nothing else (ide, ethernet etc) and everything should still work fine.

Marc

I've actually been ok with the latest ones - but I did a clean install rather than a driver removal. I installed everything EXCEPT the IDE driver and I've been peachy since.

I actually made my own problems with the original install, even though I said ok to install the IDE, I actually had the MS driver running. I don't know why the system did it, but it worked ok until I tried burning dvds. My NEC writer failed a few burns and seemed to be hogging the IDE bus. So clever me decided to force install the Nvidia IDE, and on reboot I got BSOD's just as the desktop came up. For the life of me I couldn't get it working again, safe mode uninstall didn't work, safe mode forcing the IDE to MS got that driver back but the BSODs stayed. Luckily I had Ghosted a copy of the clean, driverless install onto a disk and it was a simple case of going back to square one.

It's actyually funny you say that about the NV firewall, becasue when I force installed the IDE, I actually installed that too...... strange that something like that, that some people rate so highly, can cause so much grief.

To the OP, I'd say, try a clean install with only the chipset and audio drivers. No IDE, no firewall. Also worthwhile making sure you have SP2 and evry update since along with a total virus/spyware scan with up to date definitions. I have had to fix too many PCs that weren't "working" and it was all done to virii and spyware. A check of the running processes in Task manager can be agood starting point to check this.

If all this doesn't work, it may well be a hardware issue.
Good luck
mj

Back
Top Bottom