Loads of questions about MTB

Soldato
My MTB is a Giant XTC-3 2005 model, so about 14 years old but in perfectly usable/serviceable condition, I have no reason to replace it.
However in that time it hasn't had much i the way of servicing, just replaced parts as i needed or as they wore out.

replaced forks and handlebars almost as soon as I got it.
seat replaced for (allegedly) more comfortable one
BB broke - replaced
rear wheel, freewheel started sticking - replaced both wheels
tyres are now semi-slicks

Every summer I have the same problem in that the weather heats up and the brakes lock on, so those will need bleeding.

I am capable of doing any maintenance that needs doing, but certain things I have either never done or not done for a long time, the bike hasn't had that much use for one that is 14 years old so is in good nic for its age.

do I need to strip the forks, headset and hubs down ? The forks are air sprung/damped
If I do strip them, what kind of lube/grease should I use on them
I think the BB is a sealed item, I will whip it out and check anyway.

What is the best way to clean the chain ? I don't have a chain wash doodah, so will probably just turn the bike upside down and run degreaser over everything

What is a decent grease to them relube it with ?

The brakes are hydraulic disks but its been about 12 years since I fully bled them, what is the best way to do this, and can the Giant brakes have normal DOT fluid or do they need something special ?

In terms of tyres, i am contemplating doing a bit off off roading this summer, what do you recommend I fit on it ?

I also need a lid, as I have never owned one in my life, what kind of budget do you recommend spending on one ? bearing in mind this will possibly get used once a week/fortnight

I suppose the other service things should be, check everything is tight and adjust the gears/derailleurs to make sure they are indexing correctly.

Soldato
quite a few questions to answer here. I might come back to answer some more, but for the chain, break it, stick it in a jar of white spirit overnight, following day, hey presto, epic clean chain ready for lubing with "Epic Ride" lube. (tip, you can do the same for the rear cassette in an old icecream tub. The oil / grease will separate from the white spirit and sit at the bottom.

Soldato
For the brakes I honestly would not bother.. If you can, just buy a new set.
Last time I attempted to replace hydraulic fluid it was a ridiculous faff and never worked the way it should coming out of a factory.

I like Specialized helmets personally, £50-£60 price point is pretty good for design/comfort.

Caporegime
For the brakes I honestly would not bother.. If you can, just buy a new set.
Last time I attempted to replace hydraulic fluid it was a ridiculous faff and never worked the way it should coming out of a factory.

I like Specialized helmets personally, £50-£60 price point is pretty good for design/comfort.

You don't buy new brakes everytime they need bled :p

They need bled at least once a year normally. That's going to get expensive. It's not that much of a faff, and a LBS will do it for not much.

Back
Top Bottom