Local computer shops.

Associate
Walked into my local computer shop today, only went in there because I was bored waiting for the wife to have lunch with the mother-in-law.

Anyway, since I'm looking for a widescreen tft (thinking of getting the Hyundai N91W) I thought I'd see what they had in. They only stocked a couple of different models, but had in stock and on display the Video7 19" widescreen that is currently available here for £126 inc vat. So after having a little look at it, and the salesman telling me I would struggle to find a 19" widescreen tft that has a DVI input, I asked how much it was. Imagine my shock and eagerness to buy said monitor when he told me, "It's ONLY £179". I explained politely that I would have to sell my current monitor first to get some money to put towards my new one. I explained I had a iiyama Vision Master Pro514 22" CRT, at which point the other salesman laughed and said "You'll get nowt for that, CRT's aren't worth anything nowadays." Don't you just love local stores, where the shear knowledge and charm of the staff, and there constant low prices just keep you coming back for more.

Now I know not all local stores are this bad, however I'm just very unlucky, as there's not a decent computer store within about 60 miles of me. So thank you OcUK cos I'd be proper stuck without you.

Associate
i think what is worse is a famous highstreet electrical retailer that sells gfx cards like the 6600 le for about £70-£80! whereas for the same price you can get yourself a 7600gt on OC

Suspended
He's right though. We've got about fifty 15", see them being slung into skips replaced wit TFT. I do prefer CRT picture quality, however size and weight is a huge issue in offices. So thousands are chucked away for TFT's.

Associate
OP
squiffy said:
He's right though. We've got about fifty 15", see them being slung into skips replaced wit TFT. I do prefer CRT picture quality, however size and weight is a huge issue in offices. So thousands are chucked away for TFT's.

You've missed the point of my thread squiffy, one guy was trying to tell me I probably wouldn't be able to get a 19" tft with a DVI port, and the other laughed at me (A CUSTOMER) for wanting to sell a top of the range CRT. On a bad day he may have been dragged over his counter, by his throat, and flung into the street.

Associate
dobbs2010 said:
You've missed the point of my thread squiffy, one guy was trying to tell me I probably wouldn't be able to get a 19" tft with a DVI port, and the other laughed at me (A CUSTOMER) for wanting to sell a top of the range CRT. On a bad day he may have been dragged over his counter, by his throat, and flung into the street.

aye, the local computer shop dude is an expert, 'coz he once used windows.

Suspended
Rivey said:
I still chuckle at the *competitor!*

Look what I can do on my dual core! Jealous? :D

dual.jpg

Soldato
squiffy said:
Look what I can do on my dual core! Jealous? :D
*snip*
I'll raise you two paints in this dual core maddness :eek:!

jjjwg8.jpg

Seriously, though. It is amazing when you go into PC shops and see some of the prices they have things for. Noting that, though, they are good places to find out-dated kit - Socket A is still top of the range in my nearest shop!

Associate
My local pc shop is the same. I went in the other day to enquire about a 3700+ which I was using for a client's build and he wanted £175 for it :eek: I then asked whether he had any Core 2 Duos in stock and how much he was selling them for. He had never heard of C2D :confused: He proceeded to explain that I could buy a presler instead, 3GHz bla bla...I thought to myself..."yeah, 3GHz presler w00t, NOT" :| Keep your presler to yourself, thank you very much and goodbye.

Local shops treat you like fools who know nothing about computers. It's just annoying. The alternative *competitor!* baboons - let's not even go there!

Local Shop - 0
OcUK - 1

Associate
theres a *competitor!* neer me that aint to bad - still way over priced but there nice lol

i bourght 2 things, mobo and cpu, got a deal, not much of a deal but when i didnt have the right cash - he let me have it anyway. maybe ocuk could start something like this :eek:

but ocuk is still the don. even more so for graphics cards and cpu's

ocuk - i salute you ;)

PS
check your damn fax machine for credit verification so i get my order on time :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom