Lock for new MBP?

Soldato
I've just got a 13" MBP with touchbar at work. Are my IT people correct in that there are no desk locks you can buy for it? I know it doesn't have the kensington slot :confused:

Very tedious. I work in an open plan office which is very secure but I wouldn't want to leave it unlocked on my desk overnight because of cleaners etc. Very tedious having to unplug all the dongles and lock it away in my drawer every night!

Commissario
Even in a secure office, I wouldn't leave a laptop on the desk overnight. In fact, in every company I've worked for, the policy has specifically stated that laptops shouldn't be left on the desk overnight.

I do appreciate that this isn't what you're asking but the best security device for your MBP is that it's portable and you can remove/hide it.

Caporegime
I don't see the issue with leaving it on your desk if locked - especially if there is CCTV etc.. the main thing you want to do is guard against it being swiped quickly by an opportunist, you're unlikely to be protecting against someone with cutting equipment who needs to spend any amount of time attempting to steal it/break a clock etc..

I found quite a simple solution which was to buy a cheap luggage padlock from amazon, I just whack it in it's travel bag and thread the padlock through the two zips, this can secure it to a post, monitor stand on a desk etc.. quite quickly and easily.

Having said that my solution was for circumstances where I don't have the same desk or access to a lockable drawer. I'm not sure why you'd need multiple dongles in the first place, surely there ought to be an all in one solution out there for you which means you could just unplug the dongle and power lead then put it in your desk drawer.

Soldato
I don't see the issue with leaving it on your desk if locked - especially if there is CCTV etc.. the main thing you want to do is guard against it being swiped quickly by an opportunist, you're unlikely to be protecting against someone with cutting equipment who needs to spend any amount of time attempting to steal it/break a clock etc..

I found quite a simple solution which was to buy a cheap luggage padlock from amazon, I just whack it in it's travel bag and thread the padlock through the two zips, this can secure it to a post, monitor stand on a desk etc.. quite quickly and easily.

Having said that I'm not sure why you'd need multiple dongles in the first place, surely there ought to be an all in one solution out there for you which means you could just unplug the dongle and power lead then put it in your desk drawer.

To be honest, OP says its a 13" so I'm guessing a single external monitor. You'd be able to do it with a single cable.

Soldato
Seems bar far the simplest solution is to remove the dongles (it can't have that many attached anyway) and either store it in the desk or take it home. Hardly tedious at all...

Back
Top Bottom