lock laptop OS re-install help required

Associate
I have a laptop that came from my old place of work, I salvaged my day to day use lappy from the skip when site closed.... anyway, the system is completly locked, can't even get into the bios....

Is there anyway to force a boot from CD/DVD drive that would allow me to do a complete re-install of a new operating system?

J.B

J.B

Soldato
i had an old ibm laptop, thought id reset the p/w by removing the bios battery, no such like! it actually involved connecting the chip to a pc. i just bought a new mobo in the end!

Associate
OP
The_KiD said:
what make/model of laptop is it?

There will be a way to reset the BIOS settings and therefore get round the BIOS password and allow you to install what you like :)

Laptop is HP omnibook 6000..

I've tried taking the battery out and re-inserting... no joy

Permabanned
Bugger it apears that on that model of laptop the password is written to an eeprom, meaning that removing the CMOS battery will not help.

You have to contact HP and prove ownership of the laptop they will then instruct you on how to reset the BIOS.

Associate
OP
Ok Update, I managed to remember my linux password, I had set up the Lappy as dual boot... Will this help in any way to clear Bios password or completly wipe Microsoft install and re-start a fresh?

Back
Top Bottom