Lockdown Gaming GPU

Soldato
I've been out of the gaming world for a while. My PC is 10yo, Core2 Quad Q9400, 8GB, 450 gts. It's been a loyal friend, but practically an antique now.

Like almost everyone else, I've been watching the GTX 3000 series availability, so I can do a major upgrade, but I've given up hope now.

I'd really like to have a semi-reasonable gaming PC to help me through the remainder of lockdown.

I was hoping to upgrade my monitor to a 49" ultrwide, but I'm happy to keep using my 24" 1920 × 1200 if helps me find a card that will play games at not potato settings without braking the bank.

My new plan is to buy a new rig, and use a stop gap card. Can anyone recommend the best bang for buck in the £200-300 bracket that isn't going to be worthless in a few months time?

Associate
That CPU will bottleneck a modern graphics card, RAM needs to be 16 Gigabytes for decent performance, dual channel, and GPU's, the one I would suggest has not come out yet.

The RTX 3060 12 Gig GDDR 6 RAM.

Soo a second hand DX 12 card would be good, 1660 Super, if you can get one. Vega 56, however second hand prices are crazy as well at present. My 980 Ti would sell and that's nearly 6 years old.

Associate
Sooo... my two cents. It is true that time is horrible to buy a new or second hand card, since something like the 980Ti is being sold for 200 pounds at the moment on Ebay. However, you also say that you will be playing at 1920x1080 and you have been out of the gaming world for a while. You could grab a regular 980, for example, and play games like Witcher 3, Fallout 4, or many great classics, like the Dead Space Trilogy, Borderlands 1 and 2, Portal 1 and 2... just to mention a few games in no particular order. Those are relatively mild in requirements nowadays but still fantastic experiences if you did not experience them. Also, they will be quite friendly to your Quad Core. Moreover, there are tons of great indie and not so indie titles in Steam that do not require anything powerful and are still quite awesome (Ion Fury?). I am sure you have plenty of games to play before you buy the new rig :).

Soldato
OP
Sooo... my two cents. It is true that time is horrible to buy a new or second hand card, since something like the 980Ti is being sold for 200 pounds at the moment on Ebay. However, you also say that you will be playing at 1920x1080 and you have been out of the gaming world for a while. You could grab a regular 980, for example, and play games like Witcher 3, Fallout 4, or many great classics, like the Dead Space Trilogy, Borderlands 1 and 2, Portal 1 and 2... just to mention a few games in no particular order. Those are relatively mild in requirements nowadays but still fantastic experiences if you did not experience them. Also, they will be quite friendly to your Quad Core. Moreover, there are tons of great indie and not so indie titles in Steam that do not require anything powerful and are still quite awesome (Ion Fury?). I am sure you have plenty of games to play before you buy the new rig :).

Just to clarify my current rig situation. I could buy a new rig now if it helps, I'm just a bit stumped about what GPU I should put in it.

Games I would like to play are
  • Dirt Rally 2.0
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • COD Cold War
  • Far Cry 5/6
  • Counter Strike
  • GTA 3-5
If availability was better, I'd probably go for an RTX 3080, and get a new monitor.

However, since that's probably 5-6 months away, I just need a card that will allow me to play those kind of games @ 1920x1080 until supply picks up later in the year.

I'm beginning to think that if I want a gaming rig at the moment, I just need to be prepared to write-off ~£200.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What fps are you looking for? Big difference between ultra at 100fps+ vs 60fps with some settings turned down to medium/high. For the latter you'd be fine with a 580 I reckon, otherwise you're in to £200-250+ territory in the current horrendous market, something like a 1080.

Soldato
OP
What fps are you looking for? Big difference between ultra at 100fps+ vs 60fps with some settings turned down to medium/high. For the latter you'd be fine with a 580 I reckon, otherwise you're in to £200-250+ territory in the current horrendous market, something like a 1080.

Yours is the second RX580 recommendation :) Are these still available to buy new, or am I looking at second hand?

Also, would these still preform in my current rig (in OP), or is it too much of a bottleneck?

Associate
Yours is the second RX580 recommendation :) Are these still available to buy new, or am I looking at second hand?

Also, would these still preform in my current rig (in OP), or is it too much of a bottleneck?

I've got the rx580 and it's good for 300fps at max settings on cs:go but that's also with a ryzen 7 3800xt. You won't get much past 100fps with that cpu.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom