Loft Help

Soldato
Here is my loft space (3/4 of it)

PLEASE NOTE: Before you all start talking about building regs, i am creating a glorified storage space. I just want it to look good as for the sake of a small amount of money over a few months, it would look great and worth it in the long run, as it looks awful!

Right so, the sides i want to insulate and i was told to get 50mm jablite but i feel this would not be safe at all, am i right?

So what would you use for the side insulation as i do want to insulate it as i can plaster board/plaster it for free
1f642.png

When insulating do i do the sides from the very top to very bottom or from the top of the cross eaves beam to the top of the roof?
I think i will raise the middle 'slats' and add a spotlight in each one for more light.
I may also board the sides completely, depending how much i end up storing up there!
Please do give me your recommendations, i just need to be able to have it dry, condensation free and mould free
1f642.png

thanks

Soldato
Don't fill the rafters with insulation. If you really must just plaster board it.
It's supposed to be draughty up there that's what keeps it dry. Keep plenty of space around the underside of the roof.

Soldato
It depends what type of roof you have as to how you insulate it

mine is a cold roof so I needed to leave a gap of minimum 1 inch between the underside of the roof and the insulation

mine attic was Built as a dormer over 100 years ago so had no insulation but I still put in a building notice as I though having an official inspect it would give me give me peace of mind in the long run

Soldato
From memory when my dad did his about 8 or 9 years ago celotex was added to the rafters with a gap between that and the felt, then plaster boarded from the rafters, same on the sides to create a dry room but with a breezy roof space.

Soldato
OP
From memory when my dad did his about 8 or 9 years ago celotex was added to the rafters with a gap between that and the felt, then plaster boarded from the rafters, same on the sides to create a dry room but with a breezy roof space.

Call me stupid, how could i add a gap between the celotex and the roof felt? I could only push it in far as it would go i assume? Obviously i can leave a gap between the celotex and plasterboard

thanks mate

Soldato
Call me stupid, how could i add a gap between the celotex and the roof felt? I could only push it in far as it would go i assume? Obviously i can leave a gap between the celotex and plasterboard

thanks mate
You fit the celotex on top of the rafters. You end up loosing a fair bit of space. Why do you need it insulated for storage.

Soldato

thanks mate

If your rafters are say 75mm then put a few nails in the rafters 25mm from in underside of the roof ,50 mm rigid insulation board will then be flush with the rafter where the plasterboard will go

If you didn’t have enough room then you can batten the rafters to create more space

Soldato
OP
If your rafters are say 75mm then put a few nails in the rafters 25mm from in underside of the roof ,50 mm rigid insulation board will then be flush with the rafter where the plasterboard will go

If you didn’t have enough room then you can batten the rafters to create more space

Common sense always wins, thanks :)

Soldato

This from memory was how he did it. Roof space was fairly big so it didn't really lose much space all in all. Think 50mm celotex was used.

Permabanned
Don't fill the rafters with insulation. If you really must just plaster board it.
It's supposed to be draughty up there that's what keeps it dry. Keep plenty of space around the underside of the roof.

this.

If all you are doing is creating a storage space then I would avoid problems and just board it. No insulation because that just interferes with air flow, so why even go there? I mean you don't need a storage space to be kept warm.

One thing, though, what's underneath that flooring?

Soldato
We've just had similar done in our loft and they advised not to insulate in the rafters. They used iko rubershield as a membrane around the rafters and then used plasterboard.

For the eaves, they were turned into storage and plasterboard used from the purlins to the floor. Again, the eaves weren't insulated as he advised to keep airflow around the loft as much as possible.

The only thing that needed to meet building regs was installation of 2 velux windows. It's a cold room but has plenty of airflow.

Back
Top Bottom