Log Store * Spec me! *

Associate
I've found its usually more economical building your own. Done a few now over the years at different houses.

Current work in progress. Gravel floor and pallets for the wood to sit on and a divider half way across. I season it on pallets under the trees at the bottom of the garden before I split it.

Woodstore.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I've found its usually more economical building your own. Done a few now over the years at different houses.

a>

If you are trying to add an image you must have it hosted (on say imgur.com) and add the IMG tags to the pictures url.

Looking to build one myself (half to house a metal bin of coal, the other half for logs), interested in seeing how people have built theirs.

Soldato
I would second what gav says too. Mine cost me about £50 if that in materials. I cant remember where I got the covers on the front but I would remove them to let the wood dry out during the summer, then cover them up to keep any rain firing at the wood in the winter.

I liked having the 3 'sections' as I could keep wood separate depending on when I received it (Most of what I received needed drying out first).

P.S I built it in 2011 and it was my first ever build lol.

rvw4rIx.jpg.png

Associate
That looks great! Wish I had the space for something of that size.

Yes we are very lucky to have a good sized garden. It won't entirely be wood, as I've some coal to go in there and I need to get the ladders out the shed onto a lockable rack hanging from the joists. It also has a 'loft' for the axle stands and car ramps as well to get them out the shed. Work in progress still!

Soldato
I've built 2 so far, this is the first one, it'd hold maybe just over a builders bag full as its only 2 rows of logs deep.

ACtC-3fkf7kFN5DOsEmMPAQiyPWEr7ookMcfoflBK3iDXXu0E4pLlKZcMF3CCAGBlCmhmj7GrMJvV1uRj_8miWE9O2k5cDzDM2voi_KzgY4skaze84CoEu5FokUC-jcLpV6TmZpa0NeYgkqA05ZwVe_TzJbsjw=w1953-h1297-no

ACtC-3cxRsKPr6BpeTqxQCLGi_ZcqSvk-wiTqIWKJfdmP-V6yBv-DB7IDVArXfiUrOEjsxOOdK_0cqyyzT0iOYvagr6JO9bBpwN8ChifVp1plP83WA6byjhPtdfy2pdjdML04yfXEGG4hi6qxrZD0KxZbMbVrQ=w1730-h1297-no

This is the 2nd one i made with improvements from the first, more thicker wood and an extra row deep.

ACtC-3fEo3xteoaeTSNq0hsgqZUo44fkOMc12TxLmjuGSsYV2f6pK1wnv35dZTMiLjEHwIS4Rb89WFD0W9GNpvujVUjEzF-Zqi-AkGIk1A8X6XjSGzdiSrG6mYhni47jGe0lU_s-pE0zE9_4cNVKlkdBWZlxWw=w1730-h1297-no

ACtC-3emlX9GrTEKzdzT2A0BzAS6gYH3sFc8OqKk5O1h3Rs-rnyzyISm5WZ_IfEjGsbjf20uE9WSb2FGAYN61_MgbHEhbMwpTzeRrLO7kz55UO75AcHQjE-_7XiEybjfa16EGjKFNTLD1WJO9qThT3LQKlOdIg=w1730-h1297-no

I reckon they cost me about £60ish each with stuff from B&Q so would be cheaper i'm sure if you went to a builders merchant

Associate
Woodstore-2.jpg

The first one I made at the old house that we still have.

Woodstore-1.jpg

The improved version, which was just 4 fence posts banging in the ground with a roof screwed on top and some boards for the back and side. Worked really well and was cheap! Downside is you cant really move it.

Associate
OP, you've not said a budget or if you want a pre-built or go DIY. Responses so far are people building their own.
If you want to buy one pre-made / kit form the cheaper ones generally have thinner wood and fixings and the roof, if not supported correctly, may warp/sag/leak.
For the price difference in materials and time and faff for a DIY job compared to buying one made, it was worth doing the latter to me. Bought from here.
Solid frame of 2x2 and 3x3 wood.
It is a lovely garden feature on our patio so wanted it to look proper.
If it was to be placed out of the way somewhere I'd have knocked one up out of a few free pallets.

Soldato
As much as it is slightly easier to buy a made up one, they are just so so much more expensive. Just spec'd one on that link similar to what i have and its like £330, where i paid £60 in materials and that's still with making mine out of treated 2x3s with treated 1x4s for the rest.

Sure it did take me a good 2 or 3 hours to build it as i'm not a pro at all when it comes to woodwork but still.

Soldato
Depending on your usage a dumpy bag wouldn't last me 5-6 weeks and I only have a very small wood burner.

The glory days of burning wood are long gone - I used to get trailer loads for free - I only have 4 log stores now where a few years ago I had six due to cost of wood being rock bottom and was a cheap way to assist the oil heating. - Now oil is cheaper than wood.

Associate
OP, you've not said a budget or if you want a pre-built or go DIY. Responses so far are people building their own.
If you want to buy one pre-made / kit form the cheaper ones generally have thinner wood and fixings and the roof, if not supported correctly, may warp/sag/leak.
For the price difference in materials and time and faff for a DIY job compared to buying one made, it was worth doing the latter to me. Bought from here.
Solid frame of 2x2 and 3x3 wood.
It is a lovely garden feature on our patio so wanted it to look proper.
If it was to be placed out of the way somewhere I'd have knocked one up out of a few free pallets.

Totally agree it depends how hands on the OP is and if they have the tools etc. Ones linked do look good and solid, a lot better than some you see for sale.

Associate
OP
Thanks All,

it does look like building my own is the way to go rather than buy off the net. Will take a trip down to B&Q over the weekend to cost up materials. Certainly dont mind getting hands on with this sort of stuff.

Looking to get probably 2 dumpy bags of logs stored up, we only use it on the weekend so not needing anything overly big

Back
Top Bottom