logitech G13

Associate
For that money you can buy a full length mechanical backlit keyboard. It's quite hard to decide if it's worth it for you but I would not buy such a device unless it's with mechanical switches.

I myself have used such a half keyboard for gaming years ago. It was an A4Tech cheapie with rubberised WSDA and I enjoyed using it at the time solely for playing CS 1.6. If you ask me now, I do not have enough space on my desk and prefer a one solution that does it all - gaming, work, and multimedia.

If a normal full size keyboard with numpad is too big you can get one without a numpad Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid or one without del/insert/home buttons and integrated arrow keys into the numpad like the Cooler Master Quickfire TK.

Last edited:
Soldato
I considered one, but ended up going with a Razer Nostromo instead.
Both work well, but the need/usage is a very niche thing.

For many games, I prefer WASD on a normal keyboard, but for flight, space-sims and a number of games involving many keys, I'll use the Nostromo. I just find them easier when I have many buttons and keys more immediately to hand than a keyboard provides.

But that's what such peripherals are about. It doesn't make you a better gamer, it just enhances your experience and helps you play the way you want.

Associate
If you want to play MMOs isn't it better to have a nice MMO friendly mouse and use your high quality gaming keyboard that has all the keys? I am not an MMO person at all and the RPG games I play do not rely that much on 20-30 macros for different spells.

Soldato
If you want to play MMOs isn't it better to have a nice MMO friendly mouse and use your high quality gaming keyboard that has all the keys? I am not an MMO person at all and the RPG games I play do not rely that much on 20-30 macros for different spells.

IMO, it depends more on the physical side than anything else - I have large hands, so found the 12-button MMO mice awful, with the exception of the old Warcraft one but that felt horrid and plasticky. I ended up with a G700.
The Nostromo fits large hands pretty well, far better than most keyboards. But more importantly, my long arms naturally position my hands either side of my keyboard, so having the Nostromo on the left works very well... and also gives me quick access to the 12 G-keys along the left edge of the 'board.

Most of the 'boards I considered have multiple profiles, wherein you can assign almost every single key to a macro, multiplied by number of profiles. but it's all about where you personally prefer those keys to be.

Associate
When I first got ESO I tried both my G13 and a Razer Tartarus I bought especially for the game.

In the end though I've found the best method for me is to use my standard keyboard for most things and just map the 1-5 keys to buttons on my G700 mouse.

Back
Top Bottom