London Marathon claims victim

Soldato
Water bottles just aren't enough, people need to replace electrolytes that are lost through sweating. Also people drink too much water and this makes things even worse, I believe this is one of the things that casues death in ecstacy users aswell.

Such a tragedy and shouldn't be happening these days :(

Soldato
yeah a real shame, although this does happen most years, people have issues and don't know about them until they stress the body in such harsh fashion, no doubt the heat played a bit part on things this year.

Caporegime
Kinda disheartening really as I was running it.

I also passed someone on the Paris marathon who was being defibrillated by several paramedics :/

Soldato
My mate runs it every year, he said it was a lot more painful than usual.
In a roundabout way the heat helped him out though, his time was 2 mins slower than last year, but all the runners had a slow race, so it was enough for him to leap up from 69th last year to 46th!
Mikey B = Legend!

Official result page

Soldato
Chong Warrior said:
Water bottles just aren't enough, people need to replace electrolytes that are lost through sweating. Also people drink too much water and this makes things even worse, I believe this is one of the things that casues death in ecstacy users aswell.

Such a tragedy and shouldn't be happening these days :(

Or he quite possibly may of had an underlying heart problem brought on by the exercise alone.

I'm surprised there were not more people killed to be honest.

Soldato
I'm sure it said earlier that is was suspected that he had a sodium deficiency which led to <medical term> and then kidney failure.

Soldato
Chong Warrior said:
A simple sports drink, water + sugar + salt would have saved his life. How tragic is that?

How hard would it be for the government or the organizers to tell people to have such a drink every 8 miles or so?
He was a sports centre manager or something like that, so you'd assume that he'd have the knowledge, if not the basic common sense to know that.

Caporegime
Chong Warrior said:
A simple sports drink, water + sugar + salt would have saved his life. How tragic is that?

How hard would it be for the government or the organizers to tell people to have such a drink every 8 miles or so?

A friend of mine did the marathon and said that there was no water for nearly 10 miles at one point, he was having to pick up discarded bottles from the road to get a few drops.
The organsiers said there was the equivalent of 7.5 litres of fluid for every runner, but when you watch it on telly most of that seems to be used for pouring over their heads.
Some people seem to be getting the wrong idea was well by taking a bottle at every station, rather than just once every few miles, that just seemed to be such a waste.

Soldato
Chong Warrior said:

All the races I've run lately offer electrolyte drinks at points around the course - is this not the case with the FLM?

Back
Top Bottom