London pays 1/3 of UK taxes

Caporegime
what, but they're all evil bankers, surely the public at large (and especially Guardian readers) want bad things to happen to these evil parasitic bankers, I mean they don't do anything useful after all do they?

Caporegime
Slightly inaccurate. How much of that tax is actually generated there?
My company for example has its office registered in London but no actual work is done there. However that is where our tax will be paid.

Man of Honour
Pays 1/3 the taxes but gets 24-44+ times (depending on the sector) the infrastructure spending....... Northen powerhouse my ass Mr Government

most densely populated area of the uk gets the most infrastructure spending. what a surprise.
its not like the north doesn't get anything, several of the big cities up north have good public transport as they are big enough to justify it.

it makes no sense at all to equally spread out spending on infrastructure, and I don't even live in London.

Caporegime
Pays 1/3 the taxes but gets 24-44+ times (depending on the sector) the infrastructure spending....... Northen powerhouse my ass Mr Government

And there is no interest to change things unfortunately.

I'd like to see other cities get the same level of spending on cycling infrastructure for example. Those CSHs are a step in the right direction.

Soldato
several of the big cities up north have good public transport as they are big enough to justify it.

I agree with you to a point buy 24-44 times per head spending difference is not good you have to admit. I see night and day defences between the likes Oxford and London and the northern (and beyond citys where I used to live and work and where family are, I’m talking about Manchester on the better end of things to Leeds/Bradford, Dundee/Glasgow etc.

Population density does not always link up with infrastructure spending, Oxford for example (and surrounding area) is small and not as population dense as London but has way better transportation links/service, internet speeds and other services then for example than Leeds/Bradford and surrounding areas.

Keeping infrastructure spending so low outside of London is not going to making the country more balanced and just fuels the divide between the south east and everywhere else in UK. Which in turn makes London's issues of overpopulation and lack of housing even worse as more people are forced to the south east where the jobs are especially skilled jobs are.

Soldato
And there is no interest to change things unfortunately.

I'd like to see other cities get the same level of spending on cycling infrastructure for example. Those CSHs are a step in the right direction.

I know sadly :( but its nice to see more of the BBC operations in the likes of Manchester, hopefully others will do something similar over time but again you need good transport and internet infrastructure at the very least.

Back
Top Bottom