London to get 24 inches of snow today (not really but just imagine!)

Man of Honour
I don't remember too many times being in central London with snow but then as I couldn't get in on those days it was unlikely I did. I remember how deep it used to get where I lived in Essex. It used to get so deep that we used to make igloos.

Soldato
I remember back in the day there being 6ft snow drifts and all the roads out of town being blocked by snow.. not seen something like that for 35+ years.

Getting lots of snow these days would probably help beat covid, as the idiots wouldnt be out raving.

Man of Honour
I remember back in the day there being 6ft snow drifts and all the roads out of town being blocked by snow.. not seen something like that for 35+ years.

Getting lots of snow these days would probably help beat covid, as the idiots wouldnt be out raving.

I remember that happening just once in my life time - sometime back in the 80s I believe. Not something that has happened very often in this country though only a fairly small number of winters anything like that in the last 1-2 centuries - just the ones in the 60s/70s have left their mark on people's minds that were old enough to remember.

I really need to see if I can dig out my parent's old photos from the big one in the 60s - the house is almost buried, the cars are and icicles as big as someone's arm hanging from the gutters, etc.

Soldato
The Beast from the East (early 2018) was the last semi decent snow that I saw. Before that, it was the 2009/10 winter where the snow froze for over a month. That was the last time I saw snow being anywhere near 6". For anything over 6", you'll need to go back to the mid 90s / late 80s. Lots of power cuts!

Didn't even snow then it was damn cold saw about one shower that lasted about 15 minutes and that was it.

Last actuall snow fall was at least 7 years ago and decent snowfall I havn't seen since the 80's. Last blizzard I saw was at least 20 years ago I remember trying to drive up a small hill was quite a challenge didn't think that'd be the last time I'd ever experienced it. Havn't seen daytime temperatures below freezing since the late 80's/early 90's. Even a frost is uncommon these days.

Man of Honour

Screw snow, it’s for Christmas cards only as far as I’m concerned.
Sometime circa mid seventies, I was returning from Whitehaven, (I think that it was either still Cumberland then, or had just become Cumbria), driving an empty articulated oil tanker, somewhere near Carnforth, or Lancaster at a guess, when the traffic came to a halt in driving snow, so many cars had been abandoned, that trucks willing to go on, couldn’t get through.
I was directed to walk across some fields by a copper, and fetched up in a Police Station somewhere, where I and 15-20 other truck drivers slept on the floor.
Next day I trudged back to my truck, but the diesel in the fuel lines had frozen, and it wouldn’t start.
A cop called a local truck repair place, and I had to wait freezing hours for assistance.
The mechanic had to hold burning paper to the fuel lines to get the diesel melted, and when the engine fired up, the exhaust belched thick smoke for maybe 5 minutes.
The heater took miles and miles to kick in, but was I happy when it did!

Soldato
Screw snow, it’s for Christmas cards only as far as I’m concerned.
Sometime circa mid seventies, I was returning from Whitehaven, (I think that it was either still Cumberland then, or had just become Cumbria), driving an empty articulated oil tanker, somewhere near Carnforth, or Lancaster at a guess, when the traffic came to a halt in driving snow, so many cars had been abandoned, that trucks willing to go on, couldn’t get through.
I was directed to walk across some fields by a copper, and fetched up in a Police Station somewhere, where I and 15-20 other truck drivers slept on the floor.
Next day I trudged back to my truck, but the diesel in the fuel lines had frozen, and it wouldn’t start.
A cop called a local truck repair place, and I had to wait freezing hours for assistance.
The mechanic had to hold burning paper to the fuel lines to get the diesel melted, and when the engine fired up, the exhaust belched thick smoke for maybe 5 minutes.
The heater took miles and miles to kick in, but was I happy when it did!

I was going to type good memories, but I guess its cold memories :)

Back
Top Bottom