London to Glasgow, should I take the M1 or M6?

Soldato
So I need to drive from London to Glasgow and back on the same day, should I take the M1 or M6?
Probably going Wednesday

Any advice?

Job Done.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
M1 + A1(M)

Which doesn't go to Glasgow, it goes to Edinburgh.

It's debatable whether this is even the best route to Edinburgh let alone Glasgow. Glasgow is an easy direct 100% Motorway route up the M6 and M74 into the city centre. Parts of the other route are not even dual carriageway. I've no idea why you would consider going that way :p

As an added bonus the A74(M) part of the route is probably the most scenic Motorway in the UK.

Soldato
OP

It's debatable whether this is even the best route to Edinburgh let alone Glasgow. Glasgow is an easy direct 100% Motorway route up the M6 and M74 into the city centre. Parts of the other route are not even dual carriageway. I've no idea why you would consider going that way :p

It was the options google maps, waze and sygic gave me :D, they merge into the M6 near the lake district

So I guess M6 it is,

Thanks all :cry:

Caporegime

It's the two routes that google maps suggest, ultimately you join back onto the end of the M6 with little time difference. I'd just go up the M6, because it's 10mins quicker.

Man of Honour
I see, it takes you back over the A66 to join the M6 rather than all the way up the A1M.

Still not sure it's worth it unless you know the M6 is blocked or something.

Soldato
So I need to drive from London to Glasgow and back on the same day,

People seem to have missed the bit I bolded. Don't do it. Take a plane or train. Seriously. At 400 miles it's far too far to drive both ways in one day. At 70 mph that's 6 hours each way without breaks. You should add in at least an hour for breaks. And there are plenty of speed cameras. And there have always been plenty of roadworks / 50 mph zones. If the sleeper train is running, take that. You'll get there in the morning, be there for a full day, then be back in London the next morning.

I've done most of this trip by car a fair few times. A trip from Aberdeen to London takes me near Glasgow and takes the whole day.

At this time of year I would take the M1 then the M6 then the M74. And I would return the following day. In the summer I would go via the A66 because I get to visit where my grandmother's ashes were scattered.

Soldato
People seem to have missed the bit I bolded. Don't do it. Take a plane or train. Seriously. At 400 miles it's far too far to drive both ways in one day. At 70 mph that's 6 hours each way without breaks. You should add in at least an hour for breaks. And there are plenty of speed cameras. And there have always been plenty of roadworks / 50 mph zones. If the sleeper train is running, take that. You'll get there in the morning, be there for a full day, then be back in London the next morning.

I've done most of this trip by car a fair few times. A trip from Aberdeen to London takes me near Glasgow and takes the whole day.

At this time of year I would take the M1 then the M6 then the M74. And I would return the following day. In the summer I would go via the A66 because I get to visit where my grandmother's ashes were scattered.

Whilst I understand your point, it depends on the individual and the car. I drove from North Kent to Lairg, and returned in the same day, with breaks. Circa 1300 miles and despite the long journey, I was fine. Plenty of tunes, breaks and it was quite enjoyable.

Man of Honour
Whilst I understand your point, it depends on the individual and the car.

I'm not really sure that's true. I'm no stranger to very refined and relaxing comfortable cars nor long drives but there is a reason why commercial driving is regulated to stop people doing 12-18 hour drives in a single day. It is more risky.

Soldato
I'm not really sure that's true. I'm no stranger to very refined and relaxing comfortable cars nor long drives but there is a reason why commercial driving is regulated to stop people doing 12-18 hour drives in a single day. It is more risky.

The key difference here are commercial drivers do it daily, this, like when I did it appears to be a one off therefore the risk is low.

Soldato
Personally I'd go M1, A1 get to Newcastle and then head for the Hartside Pass across to Carlisle. What a drive the pass is.

Probably not the quickest or most convenient but as a 'driver', that'd be my route!

Back
Top Bottom